Dactylorhiza

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve G

Reaction score
Dactylorhiza grow well here. They are a promiscuous lot and self-seeding hybrid swarms have formed with varying degrees of foliosa, purpurella, maculata and fuchsii blood. Whilst foliosa is a native of Madeira (but is hardy in the garden here) the others grow wild in Scotland. The images below are all of plants growing in my garden.

27371243944_ebe93069b1_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza purpurella

34811959340_81e62f0b7f_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza maculata alba

28001915151_6382a5fbf2_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza hybrid colony

19577675072_66dc263958_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza maculata

27465718764_1e45512fc6_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza fuchsii alba

26065168125_e24f34976e_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza romana (needs protection from winter wetness).

26151547863_e059d91ae2_o_d.jpg

-Dactylorhiza sambucina (needs protection from winter wet).

Beautiful!!! These are the ones that look like little humans or monkey? lol
How tall are these?
Must be nice to have lots of these in bloom in the garden!

The pink/magenta Dactylorhiza hybrids are bone-hardy and very tolerant of winter wet. In the 2010/2011 winter the temperature dropped below -20ºC (-4ºF) in parts of Scotland (we have a maritime rather than continental climate). I had a large unprotected plastic pot full of these Dacts which froze solid but survived. We often get below -10ºC (<14ºF) here without any protective snow cover. If you have reliable winter snow and reasonable summer rainfall these will grow well in the garden. The tubers of these plants can triple or quadruple in a season and resembles a hand with fingers (dactyl=finger; rhiza=root). The hybrids can attain a height of about 30 inches in rich moist soil.

The pink/magenta Dactylorhiza hybrids are bone-hardy and very tolerant of winter wet. In the 2010/2011 winter the temperature dropped below -20ºC (-4ºF) in parts of Scotland (we have a maritime rather than continental climate). I had a large unprotected plastic pot full of these Dacts which froze solid but survived. We often get below -10ºC (<14ºF) here without any protective snow cover. If you have reliable winter snow and reasonable summer rainfall these will grow well in the garden. The tubers of these plants can triple or quadruple in a season and resembles a hand with fingers (dactyl=finger; rhiza=root). The hybrids can attain a height of about 30 inches in rich moist soil.

What are the pink/magenta dactyl hybrids?
I'm trying the hybrid Dactyl Foliorella; planted 2 but only one grew, and not sure if it will survive the summer:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44156

What are the pink/magenta dactyl hybrids?
I'm trying the hybrid Dactyl Foliorella; planted 2 but only one grew, and not sure if it will survive the summer:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44156

They are hybrids which appear spontaneously all over my garden. They germinate mainly in troughs, planters and gravel paths where there is less plant competition and where their symbiotic fungus presumably resides. I transplant them into rich moist soil where they quickly form colonies by division.
Plants like these:
28001915151_6382a5fbf2_o_d.jpg

Latest posts

Back