Cyrt edwardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love Paphs and Phrags but also grow a significant amount of Odonts, Cytrochilum and Oncidiums in my greenhouse. Cyrt edwardii has been one of those species that I always loved. After seeing one on a trip to Ecuador with Lil Severin and a who’s who of the orchid world back in the early 90’s, I was entranced with the species.

Not an easy one to grow and flower, as the spikes tend to abort on me. This clone pushed up two spikes on one growth, sadly one broke off in an accident several months ago (started pushing in Nov). The existing spike has 100 flowers, 2.8 cm HNS 3.0 cm VNS flat for edwardii.

Needless to say, I’m doing an outcross with a friends plant and the toothpick will busy with other Oncinidae.

Tyler

Attachments

• D5CE30AE-D53D-42C4-AC84-F8729FFC8705.png
    D5CE30AE-D53D-42C4-AC84-F8729FFC8705.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 70ECA50C-0BEB-43F5-A352-4711B896641A.png
    70ECA50C-0BEB-43F5-A352-4711B896641A.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I first saw this species in Colombia few years back and it (plus Cyrtochilum orgyale) inspired my Cyrtochilum talk for the AOS webinar series.

Nicely grown and flowered! Not easy at all.

I first saw this species in Colombia few years back and it (plus Cyrtochilum orgyale) inspired my Cyrtochilum talk for the AOS webinar series.

Nicely grown and flowered! Not easy at all.

Thanks Leslie, I actually listened to you talk driving from Sacramento to the Bay Area last night. It sure would be nice to figure out how to tame some of the Cyrtochilum. I love them bit damn they can be a real pain with their rhizomes and lengthy spikes.

Recently picked up some “dwarf” species to use in hybridization that might not only make the plants more manageable but also give them heat tolerance. Time will tell. In the meantime, edwardii has been put to work on some fun things.

Tyler

Thanks Leslie, I actually listened to you talk driving from Sacramento to the Bay Area last night. It sure would be nice to figure out how to tame some of the Cyrtochilum. I love them bit damn they can be a real pain with their rhizomes and lengthy spikes.

Recently picked up some “dwarf” species to use in hybridization that might not only make the plants more manageable but also give them heat tolerance. Time will tell. In the meantime, edwardii has been put to work on some fun things.

Tyler
That would be cool to utilize the smaller members of the genus to ‘tame’ them.

My fave in the talk was the pink leopoldianum! Here’s the slide on it:

2F8A2918-2327-4153-9C1E-DA7D725EF0CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Leslie, I was on the same judging team as Howard for POE this spring and it was fun to bend his ear. He told me that his GH has one very tall side to accommodate the spiking habit of his plants. Sadly I doubt there will ever be a commercially viable long spike Cyrt but perhaps with the mini’s. Prime example is this Cyrt Rustic Sunrise, 12’ spike with 6 flowers on a first bloom seedling. The spike was “tamed” into a wreath arrangement. Agh!

Tyler

Attachments

• A971C7E4-C8EE-4477-AAD6-6815316ACB06.jpeg
    A971C7E4-C8EE-4477-AAD6-6815316ACB06.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Leslie, I was on the same judging team as Howard for POE this spring and it was fun to bend his ear. He told me that his GH has one very tall side to accommodate the spiking habit of his plants. Sadly I doubt there will ever be a commercially viable long spike Cyrt but perhaps with the mini’s. Prime example is this Cyrt Rustic Sunrise, 12’ spike with 6 flowers on a first bloom seedling. The spike was “tamed” into a wreath arrangement. Agh!

Tyler
What a treat to chat with Howard! Hope you got lots of tips!

Howard helped a lot with my talk. His hybridization sets a standard in this genus.

Hi, I love this species too, but never could ind it here in Europe. How tall/wide is the plant, and how long is the spike? Finally, what conditions do you give it please?

Hi, I love this species too, but never could ind it here in Europe. How tall/wide is the plant, and how long is the spike? Finally, what conditions do you give it please?

The plant is relatively large from what I have seen in other collections. Four mature bulbs and roughly one meter cubed. The spike is roughly 1.75 meters. It is treated just like my cooler growing Odonts but kept slightly more moist by adding sphagnum moss to the mix. Fertilized heavily. Strong air movement as well.

Hope that helps

Tyler

The plant is relatively large from what I have seen in other collections. Four mature bulbs and roughly one meter cubed. The spike is roughly 1.75 meters. It is treated just like my cooler growing Odonts but kept slightly more moist by adding sphagnum moss to the mix. Fertilized heavily. Strong air movement as well.

Hope that helps

Tyler
Thank you Tyler, too big for my space I am afraid! 😉

Hope that helps

Tyler
Tyler
not too big for my GH….)).
I have a couple of the 15’ spike models. densiflorium , serratum Need one?
Tom

Latest posts

Back