cyps in pots 2015

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been keeping my chinese cyps in the insulated garage. Averaging about 4c to -1. It has been very warm winter.

My neighbours hockey rink leaked louts of water and it flooded my garden beds where I have my native cyps and a couple of hybrids planted. It has been frozen solid since we got some cod temps in christmas. I feel that they might not survive. :mad:

I have been keeping my chinese cyps in the insulated garage. Averaging about 4c to -1. It has been very warm winter.

My neighbours hockey rink leaked louts of water and it flooded my garden beds where I have my native cyps and a couple of hybrids planted. It has been frozen solid since we got some cod temps in christmas. I feel that they might not survive. :mad:

Sorry to hear about the flooding. We've had a lot of rain. I hope I added enough turface in the new garden bed to improve drainage.

Let your neighbor know you expect to be reimbursed.
I agree. Building any structure on a property that causes drainage onto......and flooding of.....a neighbouring property, has got to be against your local community bylaws. Also, did the neighbour need a permit? Did they get one? If they do need a permit to build a rink and they did get one, then the municipality may be liable for your flood damage to your property.

We have the same problem with our neighbours hockey rink when they drain it in the spring. Luckily it's not in a part of the garden to affect the plants of value and it drains away within a day or two. We're going to tell them about it this spring....to be fair I don't think they actually know it drains onto part of our back yard as it also flows out through their side yard; they probably don't realize it also comes under our fence.

They told me that they use a pump for it to drain on to the sewer system. It's just its been warm and their boards collapse and drained to our yard. There is about an inch or two of frozen ice all over. I hope the plants are alright.

Should I wait until spring to asses the damage and tell them? See if the plants may come back?

I know ice cover kills grass. It can't 'breathe' through ice so I imagine if your Cyps are both surrounded and covered with ice they may not make it through. Not sure what I'd do other than let your neighbours know that your rare plants may be gone because of their rink.

I know ice cover kills grass. It can't 'breathe' through ice so I imagine if your Cyps are both surrounded and covered with ice they may not make it through. Not sure what I'd do other than let your neighbours know that your rare plants may be gone because of their rink.

Yeah, I agree. No need to do anything about it yet, other than let them know that you are concerned about your investment that their rink has put into jeopardy. However, it might be fine. So, you will also need to simply wait until spring and see.

Obviously, the neighbours did not flood your property deliberately, wishing to cause damage; but, they did construct the ice rink poorly enough that it collapsed. There's no reason at all for you to be obliged to suffer losses because of that. You're entitled to spend money on your landscape, including putting in gardens filled with expensive plants and expect that your neighbours won't do anything that ends up destroying that investment. If the flooding from their poorly constructed rink kills your plants, they are liable. In fact, they should count themselves lucky that all that water pouring into your yard did not end up flooding your basement. Then, they'd be paying you a lot more money for repairs and replacement furniture, etc. Also, if the plants were killed and your neighbours are not sympathetic, contact city hall and do some table thumping in the construction permit department and the bylaw department. Either the neighbour, or the municipality will be responsible for your losses.

Why don't you try to rest them in fridge in winter? I had serious problem in last winter , too, not with my neighbours , but with the weather. There was extremely warm and rainy winter and many of rare cyps rotted in my garden. So I decided I will try to rest them in fridge. I digged out them at the end of autumn and packed them among slightly moist sphagnum moss with plastic foil. It was more than 2 month ago and seems that it works. Eg. my californicum.

Latest posts

Back