cyps in pots 2015

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather a lot to drink, eh? I just got back from a weekend in the city at a Belgian beer festival :D

Great to see so many Cyp flowers at once. The big white Sabine remains a stunner, but I really like Bill and your x ventricosum (both) as well. The tibeticum and calcicola from Holger remind me of my trip to Sichuan. I hope they do well for you.

Hi

First flowering of this species for me and bought from Holger Perner last winter.
Smaller and much darker than tibeticum. Holger states that this is the true species and not a dark tibeticum.
This close up was taken with the iPad. Not bad!

David

David, do you grow C. calcicola in the same way as others? In other words, do you add lime stone or something to make the media more basic, or do you just use your usual media (mostly coarse Perlite)? It is indeed amazing flower!

I grow calcicola in exactly the same way as all the other cyps.
None receive special treatment.
You would think that with a name like calcicola it would need limestone to do well but not so.
You have to remember that a plant grows where it can and where it can outcompete others, not necessarily where it prefers or does best!
Regards,
David

Thanks for the info, David. I agree that natural condition may not be the best for cultivation since what they can tolerate is not same as what they like most. So it is great to know how you can grow them under cultivation. Abiotic environment could be rather a small part of plants' life, and biotic competition is probably limiting the habitat "preference" of some species!

A few more

Hi
As my iPad will not load more than one photo at present I have to do some multiple posts. The cross Lucy Pinkepank, tibeticum x kentuckiense produces huge flowers and plants. Here are a couple of different clones,
David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 26
Hi
As my iPad will not load more than one photo at present I have to do some multiple posts. The cross Lucy Pinkepank, tibeticum x kentuckiense produces huge flowers and plants. Here are a couple of different clones,
David

Need to post mine, but I think this is one of the better hybrids available. Would put it with Gisela and Sabine as a good beginner cyp.

Nice color theme! I love the Lucy PP's, a real WOW flower. I agree the pale tibeticum looks more like a froschii type, which is a bonus since they are more rare. It will be interesting to see if it flowers larger in the following seasons. The x ventricosum is great too. If I had an appropriate garden for these I'd grow as many of this one as possible - the range of flower types is staggering.

Fantastic plants, as always...

Pixi

This is a still of my largest hybrid pixi. Not as big as Ed's monster parviflorum but not bad. It started to flower in 2008 with two stems and has grown quickly ever since. Last year it put on 30 growths.
There are currently eighty five stems with fifty one flowers. Maybe next year it will break 100!
David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 28
Winter weather

Hi,

With the UK having a warm winter I have decided to play safe and put my more finicky species cyps into the two old fridges in the garage for 8 weeks. I will try to run them at about 4 degrees C.
Similar conditions a couple of years ago meant I lost a few plants or they took a big step backwards. They were mostly species.
Most of the hybrids are too big to cut in the fridges.
Anyone else worried by the warm winter?

Regards,

David

Hi,

With the UK having a warm winter I have decided to play safe and put my more finicky species cyps into the two old fridges in the garage for 8 weeks. I will try to run them at about 4 degrees C.
Similar conditions a couple of years ago meant I lost a few plants or they took a big step backwards. They were mostly species.
Most of the hybrids are too big to cut in the fridges.
Anyone else worried by the warm winter?

Regards,

David

Yes, but I've kept mine outside rather than bringing in to the garage. Also, I'm growing more warm tolerant cyp sp/hybrids, so less concerned than you.

Latest posts

Back