Cypripediums and black walnut trees.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plantman13

Reaction score
For anyone have any experience growing cyps under black walnut? I can't seem to find any info on whether or not they are tolerant or not.

I'm interested too. This is my first year at a new house, and there are black walnut trees (but not near the cyp bed; rest of cyps in pots).

I did some quick google research, and the link has a list of "walnut tolerant" plants; not sure if any of them are taxonomically similar to cyps. Maybe if you raise the bed for the cyps (not only good drainage but away from the root toxins)?
http://beautifuleasygardens.blogspot.com/2006/06/plants-to-grow-near-black-walnut-trees.html

From The Farmers Almanac: Unfortunately, the black walnut does have a dark side. Its roots, which may extend 50 feet or more from the trunk, exude a natural herbicide known as juglone that prevents many plants from growing within their reach. I don't know if the applies to Cyp's but I've never seen any growing near or underneath a walnut tree.

I'm interested too. This is my first year at a new house, and there are black walnut trees (but not near the cyp bed; rest of cyps in pots).

I did some quick google research, and the link has a list of "walnut tolerant" plants; not sure if any of them are taxonomically similar to cyps. Maybe if you raise the bed for the cyps (not only good drainage but away from the root toxins)?
http://beautifuleasygardens.blogspot.com/2006/06/plants-to-grow-near-black-walnut-trees.html

Unfortunately, the phytotoxicity from black walnut trees comes just as much from fallen nuts and rain dripping off foliage as it does from roots. A raised bed won't do much good. Also, it would only take a year or 2 for roots to grow up into a raised bed. The effect extends at least as far as the branches.

From the list, the closest relative of orchids listed appears to be Crocus. I wouldn't consider that close enough to indicate anything, since closer Crocus relatives like Iris are not listed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest in this topic. I'm gonna assume it's not safe to be growing pricey cyps anywhere near a walnut tree. There's a few tree species the some cyps grow around that are also listed as non tolerant. If I find any new info I'll share it.

I will probably try that. Maybe with a cyp. Parviflorum, since it's one of the cheapest and easiest to grow.

As a teenager in Arkansas I did transplant a Cyp. pubescens under a Black Walnut. The tree seemed not to have any adverse affects on the slipper.

In Maryland, we had a bunch of black walnuts all over the place. We had no problems with the grass or the plants under any of them. We had hostas, azaleas, Arisaema and various others there. We did make sure we cleaned up the nuts as they fell, but just mulched the leaves in place.

Back