Cypripedium wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gerhard,

Why do you search in the distance . In a country where you live, grow everywhere wardii, north to south and west to east. Did you forgot your friend Hans from Austria.

Very good Tai. I admit you do excellent research. My friend HH didn't grow his wardii in his garden. I am about to try it.
Since Ron Burch's efforts a number of years has gone, what ever became of the protocorms of his wardii propageation efforts? Was he successful in raising any plants ex vitro?

If I recall correctly, the wardiis posted by Tom were growing in the northeastern United States by someone who is now a former Slippertalk member. I don't quite recall specifics, but I think they have long since died. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

EDIT: Yep, dead: http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573

I also understood as you, except Gerhard and Berthold. thank you very much for your explanation.

Tom wrote : “ A friend of mine has just taken some shots of his Cyp. wardii in full bloom”

Paul Perakos wrote : “Tom,
Thanks for posting that wonderful photo of the twin wardii's. It looks like they are doing quite well there in Japan. “

Tom lives in Japan but not the plant . Paul Perakos´s assumption, that the plant grow in Japan, because Tom is living in Japan.

" A friend of mine " does not mean Tom's Japanese friends.

I also understood as you, except Gerhard and Berthold. thank you very much for your explanation.

Tom wrote : “ A friend of mine has just taken some shots of his Cyp. wardii in full bloom”

Paul Perakos wrote : “Tom,
Thanks for posting that wonderful photo of the twin wardii's. It looks like they are doing quite well there in Japan. “

Tom lives in Japan but not the plant . Paul Perakos´s assumption, that the plant grow in Japan, because Tom is living in Japan.

" A friend of mine " does not mean Tom's Japanese friends.

Note in the SOF link that Ron Burch mentions taking off work and driving to collect the seed pods. The plants pictured are exactly the same as the plants in the photo Tom posted. I think those are from another grower in New England (he lives in Connecticut, I think, driving distance from Ron Burch), and he just responded incredulously to Tom Velardi in order to prevent people from finding out those plants were his and bothering him for seeds/pollen/divisions/etc. Furthermore, all of the wardii photos submitted to slipperorchids.info, besides the one from Ron Burch, were submitted by him: http://slipperorchids.info/cypspecies/index.html

Eric, you're right. I just figured they were dead after "collapsing", but it doesn't specifically say that.

Last edited:
Kentuckiense , thank you very much again for your explanation.

It wasn't me, honestly!

It has been a long time since I've logged into this forum. Let's just say that life has been interesting lately.

As for the plants shown in the photo I posted years ago - they were located in the US. They are indeed long since gone. Ron's near heroic attempt at rescuing some green pod embryos from them ultimately failed. The protocorms that initially started to grow stalled and eventually died.

Without naming names, places, etc., I can tell you that NO grower that I know of has had success with this species for more than five seasons. To my knowledge, not even Dr. Holger Perner has had success with growing them from seed. I do know that for a time Orchids By Post, a company in the U.K., offered plants that were being sold as seed grown. I cannot comment further.

So, to date any you see were most likely wild sourced. From time to time they are offered online here in Japan. There was one that sold for around $600 US this winter on Yahoo Auctions - a gentlemen from Honshu was selling it. The plant was obviously wild collected based on the photo - the roots were few and dark in color.

Hopefully this absolves me from being selfish about my great knowledge :p

I'll try to get back into action on ST once things get resolved on this end.

Last edited:
Well, all I can say is good luck everyone; hope to see them in culture within my life time! :eek:

To my knowledge, I know people who make the seedling wardii

It is too early to make capsules when the plant blooms first time , she has no reserve to survive and the capsules are not fertilized.

Some people are too greedy to make capsules without the plants a chance to give to establish. Transfer in this sense to people. A 13-year-old woman must have children without regard to age. Of course, abortion and death are the result :D

It is too early to make capsules when the plant blooms first time , she has no reserve to survive and the capsules are not fertilized.

No, that is a fable. Don't believe everything You read.

Latest posts

Back