Cypripedium tibeticum in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yijiawang

Reaction score
I taked these photoes in end of July this year, over ca. 3000meter, Sichuan province in China.
fargesii and tibeticum

Attachments

• Cypripedium fargesii 1.jpg
    Cypripedium fargesii 1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Cypripedium fargesii 2.jpg
    Cypripedium fargesii 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0227.JPG
    DSCF0227.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0230.JPG
    DSCF0230.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0231.JPG
    DSCF0231.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF0228.JPG
    DSCF0228.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 67
Beautiful flowers, Yijia, thanks for sharing the photos.
Along time ago, there were two vendors in the US who carrying this species.
I don't think they have & sell them anymore. One vendor actually no longer sell any cyp.
I wonder if anyone in the US who bought those plants at the time still cultivate this species.

Very nice! It appears that these plants are in full sun always. What are the temperatures there during the growing season?

Thank you for sharing the photos!

Ron

It looks like they are in a wild meadow. Is it protected?

Beautiful, hopefully these plants are in a protected area. Thank you for sharing photos.

Not protect plants specially, it is belong to Panda protected area, out of the way very much, hard to reach there.

Attachments

• DSCF0042.JPG
    DSCF0042.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 54
Very nice! It appears that these plants are in full sun always. What are the temperatures there during the growing season?

Thank you for sharing the photos!

Ron

Thank you too!

yeah, tibeticum is growing in full sun, I notice some gardeners need shoring so that avoid fall by large flowers, whiches compare plant. I think it will be strong enough to stand up when it grow in fit temperatures and full sun.there is a pictures of my plants whiches are growing in full sun, looks it can stand up by self . I found some tibeticums in woods but less than hillside obviously.

The temperatures of area I taked photoes: about 20~25 centigrate in the day,and about 5 centigrade at the night. soil temperature about 10. Rain is very cold, I do not think it will beyond 10 or 15 centigrade .

I attached a pictures of temperature which is from Differentination of Flower Bud of Cypripedium flavum, Weng.

Attachments

• Cypri temperature.jpg
    Cypri temperature.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 200704 041.jpg
    200704 041.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 55
So protecting the charismatic megafauna has a trickle-down effect. Hmmmm. Thanks for sharing. Those flowers are gorgeous!

Congratulations YIJIAWANG! Excellent pictures
After your data, do you realize you are already involved with orchid conservation?
One more reazon for my humble congratulations!
YOU ARE ALREADY INVOLVED...!

Dr R from Peru, South America

Now that would be a sight to see!! The world holds such wonderful treasures!:)

Very beautiful photos. Did you take your photos at the Chengdu Research Base?

Sorry for I do not know any Research Base in Chengdu, just I knew a nursery of Cypripedium and other highland orchids on Huang Long mountain, the nursery is belong to a German who named Hog?

Great photos! It's such a treat to be able to see animals and plants in their native habitats.

Alert

Please note that this person is offering to sell and send this CITES protected species across international boundaries, very likely without proper documentation. Not only is this illegal, but it also is unethical. For your reference here is the item for sale, a two growth plant of C. tibeticum, without a doubt wild collected:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cypripedium-tib...5860391QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42218QQcmdZViewItem

Choose wisely.

Yeah I was wondering if anyone else here saw that. I guess we shouldn't buy them then. :(

I would certainly suggest against it. There is another person that is listed in "Midlands, England" selling similar stuff including the very rare C. lentiginosum. My guess is this is none other than the same person up to their usual antics. Mature, multiple eyed Cyps that are artificially propagated don't cost $20, or $40 for that matter, since they take a great deal of time to get that size even under the best conditions. Beyond that, even if you know what you are doing, many of these plants will die in cultivation due to mishandling and the general sensitivity of Cyp roots. The seller says that these plants "are easy" - they are not! Not even under the best of conditions.

Moreover, you could get into a heap of trouble if a package were intercepted and electronic transactions examined. I guarantee you this guy is going to send that plant in a box labeled "baseball cap" or the like, not "CITES II wild collected orchid"!

On a more positive note, I have had personal communication with Dr. Holger Perner over the last year, a German scientist living and working in Sichuan at Huanglong Preserve. They have a large scale nursery producing a wide variety of lab propagated Cyps, woodland plants, other Chinese orchids (wide range), and native Paph species. He is currently working very hard to set up business relations with American vendors to provide these plants to the outside world legally. Very likely plants will be getting out of China through their nursery within another year or two, so have patience.

I have a sincere question.

When people stumble across plants that are being offered for sale such as this where the individual isn't stating that he/she has the appropriate export permits, isn't requiring a buyer to document that they have the appropriate import permits, and is clearly stating that shipping to the US will be $30 for this plant protected by CITES; why don't people contact eBay and report the seller? Does anyone have any idea what type of sophisticated detection systems they are beginning to use these days? The odds of this plant being confiscated and destroyed increase with every new technological advance made in scanning boxes which means the plant may very well be destroyed. This is so sad.

Latest posts

Back