Cypripedium reginae on parade

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphjoint

Just bought myself my first Cyp-

AS you can see on the picture the choice was there - I took a plant with two flowers - I know almost nothing about cyps but I'm all ears

Sorry for the bad picture quality
cypreg.jpg

wow I would end up gettting one too even though I have one...
I'm not a cyp expert yet, but this is what I know. Reginae are heavy feeders and they need to stay moist. Also they tolerate more sun then other cyps, some can grow in full sun and they become larger clumps in higher light. They also like more organics than other cyps.
hmm....my reginae seems to be behind I think, maybe it will speed up growth soon.

Those are spectacular! Yep, Fren is spot on there for reginae. By the way Fren, my reginae are leafing out now, one just starting to show buds - they are much later than other Cyps.

Joe

wow i wish i knew a nursury around here that carried some cyps. How much $ you pay for the plant?

I paid like 30-40 for roots that I kept in the fridge! That is a great price at $20.

Some reason I think my plant isn't happy with the sand mixture I used or maybe this is its first year for me so it is slower. The first stems are coming, they are definitely behind yours Joe. Anyway I might give it some ferilizer. I should repot it with more composted matter in the fall

I wouldn't worry too much Fren; there are many factors that could explain your reginae being a little behind, but I don't think it's a red flag or anything. This species gets pretty mad when it gets disturbed; you're probably better off leaving it in its current mix for a season and see how it performs next year. Just make sure you fertilize it a lot if it's a mainly inert mix!

Joe

Latest posts

Back