Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
This year, this plant has only 5 flowers while last year it had 17 flowers. This year it only has 15 growths while last year it had 19 growths. The positive seems to be that it is at least 3 inches taller this year than last. I hope that it's just a temporary rest from its prior impressive performance. Hopefully a "vegetative" year.

Cypripedium%20parviflorum%20var.%20parviflorum%20plant%2003-13-2016_zpsbislmkjc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cypripedium%20parviflorum%20var.%20parviflorum%20flower%2003-13-2016_zpslgzxebgu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This year, this plant has only 5 flowers while last year it had 17 flowers. This year it only has 15 growths while last year it had 19 growths. The positive seems to be that it is at least 3 inches taller this year than last. I hope that it's just a temporary rest from its prior impressive performance. Hopefully a "vegetative" year.

I think, the plant is becoming senile. The lifespan of this species seems to be not very long compared with Cypripedium marcanthum or Cypripedium calceolus for example.

I think, the plant is becoming senile. The lifespan of this species seems to be not very long compared with Cypripedium marcanthum or Cypripedium calceolus for example.

I hope not. I will repot this year and hope for the best. I have noticed that all of my orchids, tropical and temperate, have years where they bloom more than others. The "off-bloom" years seem to be devoted to vegetative growth which seems to be the emphasis here. The plant is taller than I have ever seen it under the identical growing conditions as last year.

The plant is taller than I have ever seen it under the identical growing conditions as last year.

Yes because it doesn't have to support so much flowers and new sprouts.

Very nice. Was this sold as southern small yellow ladyslipper or yellow ladyslipper?

Elmer Nj

I don't recall a name other that the parviflorum variety of Cypripedium parviflorum. I was told last year that it looks like as selfling of the 'Perakos Queen' clone of this species that was found growing wild in Connecticut.

Latest posts

Back