Cypripedium parviflorum growing wild on the Prairies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDT

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out to a location by Saskatoon this afternoon with a group from our local orchid society. Wonderful day 20C mostly cloudy but bright! No sign of wood ticks, not many mosquitos, nice breeze, ground a bit boggy but not bad for walking. Also flowering: Blue-eyed grass, Heart-leaved Alexanders, Northern Bedstraw, Strawberry, Bog Violet, Prickly Rose.

This site is also a location of the floral emblem of Saskatchewan, the Red Lily, Lilium philadelphicum, under study by researchers at the University of Saskatchewan.

Snapped a lot of photos, here are a few. I really enjoyed seeing the variety in color.....

PrairieEcozone_zps1a1a20b1.jpg

Cyprepediumparviflorum1_zps6d6616fb.jpg

Cypparviflorumvarpubescens_zpsc99bb275.jpg

Cypripediumparviflorumvarmakasin_zpse9ba4048.jpg

Cypparviflorumvarmakasin_zps3c97df1b.jpg

Cypparviflorumvarpubescens2_zpsb0ece9b7.jpg

Cypparviflorumclump_zps294e2eff.jpg

Cypparviflorum3_zps2e7c36fc.jpg

Finished_zps3610db34.jpg

Nice!!
I am surprised by the amount of sunshine these cyps take. I thot they were more shade loving.

Beautiful.

One way to tell parviflorum from pubescens is that parviflorum on the average likes a bright, open sunny location. Pubescens is normally found in somewhat shady locations, often forest edge settings and in open woodlands.

Great photos, and great to see the natural variation. Did you smell them? According to Carson Whitlow, parviflorum tends to have a rancid butter note in its floral fragrance, while pubescens tends to be more fruity. I think pubescens (at least from the Wisconsin Dells area) has a fresh peach fragrance.

What did these smell like.

I'm sorry to say I didn't smell them!! What was I thinking???! I was certainly close enough to some of them, all I needed to do was breathe deeply! I did stop to stick my nose into a newly-opened stem of bedstraw! If I go out again I'll make a point of smelling them!

Back