Cypripedium Michael

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen Cyp. Michael before and the flowers are
absolutely gorgeous. They look like peppermint eye candy. Canada seems to be Cyp heaven...no snails, no
slugs and beautiful foliage.

I've never seen Cyp. Michael before and the flowers are
absolutely gorgeous. They look like peppermint eye candy. Canada seems to be Cyp heaven...no snails, no
slugs and beautiful foliage.

But... we have snails and slugs here!!! We also have deers, hares, groundhogs in our garden... Just 'remove' a hare from the garden this morning. His new home is on public woodlot ;)

I do have snails and slugs in my yard; but, I don't find that they cause any problem. Even my few Hostas come up and keep their clean leaves.

However!!! Chipmunks are a nasty bunch! They're really cute; but, really destructive! I catch 2 or 3 each day. I've been putting a lot of mileage on my van as I have to drive very far away to relocate them. It's a major pain; but, if I don't the Cyp flowers get their pouches ripped off and sometimes even the stems are chewed through, in effect, chopping down the whole plant! Arrrrrrrgh!

I do have snails and slugs in my yard; but, I don't find that they cause any problem. Even my few Hostas come up and keep their clean leaves.

However!!! Chipmunks are a nasty bunch! They're really cute; but, really destructive! I catch 2 or 3 each day. I've been putting a lot of mileage on my van as I have to drive very far away to relocate them. It's a major pain; but, if I don't the Cyp flowers get their pouches ripped off and sometimes even the stems are chewed through, in effect, chopping down the whole plant! Arrrrrrrgh!

Sorry to read that Ontarian Chipmunks are nastier than ours... :):poke: Of course not.... I must say we don't have a lot of them here. Maybe foxes, hawks and coyotes keep the population at a low level?

Those are gorgeous!

I make small cages out of landscape mesh/flexi fencing and encircle the small garden plants that are at risk, and bury it if need be. "When" the day comes when I get Cyps this is what I plan to do. It, along with my cats, keeps my rooted cuttings of my rare old garden roses safe, and a sprinkle of slug-go and alternative plants usually protect from snail and slugs, which are everywhere! I know I have many ferns and jack-in-the-pulpits, along with trilliums and toad lilies, so I have a feeling the orchids may one day have a decent home here!

Back