Cypripedium macranthum var. rebunense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in pot culture you must have to repot on a regular basis, 1 or 2 year . If you have around 200 to 300 pots , then is a lot of work.

Yes if You have 2000 or 3000 pots its even more work

cyp pot culture

I guess that I ought to respond.
Berthold - I'm sorry to hear of your losses.
Fingers crossed that the last plant is OK.
Whatever you grow your cyps in, the first season is always the most difficult and I always expect a certain proportion of plants not to make it,
even when bought from vendors in the UK, never mind from half way round the world.
I have a segawai that is new and not looking too well at the moment.
As far as pot culture goes, I find that the best growth of cyps happens from year 3 after repotting. Hybrids can easily triple in size in this year.
The first two years are spent recovering from repotting and re-establishing. I try to leave the plants at least 5 years between repotting.
This is the main reason that I 'overpot' plants into at least 8 inch pots and use 90% super coarse perlite as compost.
Horticultural perlite is cheap in the UK (100 litre bag for about £18 - mostly obtainable from 'hydroponics' stores) and never breaks down so the cyp roots get a real chance to establish.
It seems to have exactly the right physical properties for cyp root growth and even after 5 years I often find that there are no dead roots in a pot.
I think this is the main reason that my cyps do well,
Regards,
David

I agree with you mix in pot has to be fully different from the one in the garden soil.
I feel with you Berthold, I have small seedlings and hopeing them to go one, they are in pot and not in the soil.

my Formosanum grow fro years now in pot, and it is better to keep them under control then in soil.

Well, enough condolences have been offered to Berthold I believe it is time for me to reply. Since Berthold received the same plants from the same vendor in Japan as I have I would like to show the other plants, also potted.

Attachments

• C.rebunense2013CDJ.jpg
    C.rebunense2013CDJ.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 29
Another plant in an other pot in different soil.

Attachments

• C. rebunense2013.jpg
    C. rebunense2013.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 27
Black Monday in Marl.
Two plants in pots rotted in the last 2 weeks, one plant in the garden may be alive.
I guess plants from naturel habitat in northern Japan can't stand the german microorganisms

Well, enough condolences have been offered to Berthold I believe it is time for me to reply. Since Berthold received the same plants from the same vendor in Japan as I have I would like to show the other plants, also potted.

Hello Gerhard,

do you have an explanation ?

Hello Gerhard,

do you have an explanation ?

No I don't, other than Bertold did something that the rebunense didn't like.Berthold is a very experienced grower and only he can guess what went wrong since I don't know his growing condition.

No I don't, other than Bertold did something that the rebunense didn't like.Berthold is a very experienced grower and only he can guess what went wrong since I don't know his growing condition.

Yes, his informative : " I guess plants from naturel habitat in northern Japan can't stand the german microorganisms ".

it follows the conclusion :" the german microorganisms are very virulence "

Yes, his informative : " I guess plants from naturel habitat in northern Japan can't stand the german microorganisms ".

no, conclusion is wrong. German defence fungi and microorganisms are different and not compatible to those in northern Japan.

This is a wrong conclusion by Hakone. These plants were propagated by a Japanese nursery in vitro and therefore has nothing to do with a natural habitat in northern Japan.

This is a wrong conclusion by Hakone. These plants were propagated by a Japanese nursery in vitro and therefore has nothing to do with a natural habitat in northern Japan.

berthold writes : " I guess plants from naturel habitat in northern Japan can't stand the german microorganisms ". That's not my conclusion .

Since when can be cypripedium multiply in vitro ?

But natural microorganisms and fungi on Hokkaido Island where the gardener lives are similar to those of Rebune Island

Survival in the garden. I hate anaerobe bacteria in the pots.

8677319485_c6160d5eee_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back