Cypripedium macranthum var. rebunense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard

Reaction score
Thhis is a new thread under new 'management'

We imported last November several rebunense from a nursery in northern Japan.

Only one plant flowered, the rest aborted the flower bud. This is not unusual for a first time bloomer.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/cyprebunense1.jpg/]
cyprebunense1.jpg
[/URL]

Gerhard,

very nice flower.
Can you confirm whether the ovary is hairy/ non-hairy or just a few hairs?
In your last photo it looks like it is non hairy or just a few hairs,

Thanks,

David

Gerhard,

very nice flower.
Can you confirm whether the ovary is hairy/ non-hairy or just a few hairs?
In your last photo it looks like it is non hairy or just a few hairs,

Thanks,

David

No Hair!

Gerhard

Black Monday in Marl.
Two plants in pots rotted in the last 2 weeks, one plant in the garden may be alive.
I guess plants from naturel habitat in northern Japan can't stand the german microorganisms

Black Monday in Marl.
Two plants in pots rotted in the last 2 weeks, one plant in the garden may be alive.
I guess plants from naturel habitat in northern Japan can't stand the german microorganisms

if the 3. plant survives in the garden. Do you have an explanation ?

if the 3. plant survives in the garden. Do you have an explanation ?

You have a much higher concentration of micro organisms in pot than in the garden due less exchange of water and air. In my case I have more organic material (up to 20%) in the pot substrate also.

You have a much higher concentration of micro organisms in pot than in the garden due less exchange of water and air ------> Cypripedium is not suitable as pot plant .
In my case I have more organic material (up to 20%) in the pot substrate also ------>Why did you 20% organic material in the pot as substrate ?

You have a much higher concentration of Cypripedium is not suitable as pot plant .
Why did you 20% organic material in the pot as substrate ?

I grow most of new Cypripedium in pots for one or two years after arriving here. That is going very well.

Organic material helps in better water and food offering to the plant.

You have a much higher concentration of micro organisms in pot than in the garden due less exchange of water and air ------> Cypripedium is not suitable as pot plant .

I think monocotman would disagree with you there - he has some of the most amazing Cyps I have ever seen, all grown in pot culture.

I think monocotman would disagree with you there - he has some of the most amazing Cyps I have ever seen, all grown in pot culture.

of course that is possible but in some way You have to take more care of the plants than in garden culture

Sorry to hear of the loss Berthold - expensive and hard to replace.

Pot culture is indeed challenging, but I've found that certain plants cannot easily live in garden culture here for the long term for the very reason you present - soil microbes. Calanthe growers in Japan for instance virtually never plant them in open gardens, except for display reasons. All of their prize plants are kept permanently in pot culture. Keeping the balance of microbes, moisture, and an "airy" texture of the medium is the trick, which means you have to repot on a regular basis.

Still, I agree that trying to grow outside is best, yet for many terrestrial orchids I don't know that this is the most practical approach. Just my opinion.

Sorry to hear of the loss Berthold - expensive and hard to replace.

Pot culture is indeed challenging, but I've found that certain plants cannot easily live in garden culture here for the long term for the very reason you present - soil microbes. Calanthe growers in Japan for instance virtually never plant them in open gardens, except for display reasons. All of their prize plants are kept permanently in pot culture. Keeping the balance of microbes, moisture, and an "airy" texture of the medium is the trick, which means you have to repot on a regular basis.

Still, I agree that trying to grow outside is best, yet for many terrestrial orchids I don't know that this is the most practical approach. Just my opinion.

Well said. And yes, my condolences to you Berthold. It would be crushing to lose even one of these, let alone two.

in pot culture you must have to repot on a regular basis, 1 or 2 year . If you have around 200 to 300 pots , then is a lot of work.

Latest posts

Back