Cypripedium fasciculatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berthold

Reaction score
I could get a plant for some tests.
Is there any experience in cultivating this species in the garden outside the natural habitat with its complete microbiological environment?

The natural habitat shall be light acid pure organic needle substrate in light shade. But that is only the chemical and physical characteristic not the biological including fungi and other micro-organisms.

I fear, a non symbiotic in situ culture in the garden will be very difficult.

23091007186_46bba1f62e_b.jpg

What is the intention to find out with your tests?

How did you get CITES and import permission
to import the rhizom legally to Germany.

The rhizom does not look so nice after transport,
and somewhat like digged from the wild.

But I would recommend to plant the rhizom in NEUDOHUM.
Even if people say, there are "protecting fungus" in the mixture.
Neudorf Co. says thats not true.

What is the intention to find out with your tests?

hey guys,
no answers from Bert so far. Why is he "so silent" ??

Now I just heared the "expected" result of tests:

THE RHIZOM ROTTED.

I am so sorry about that. :mad:

But its true, what my buddy Patrick from WA always says:
never dig fasciculatum from the wild,
"it is bound to die"
(even if you plant it in "Neudohum"-soil)

Merry Christmas! to all of you.

Yes, Eric, we have to do more research on the fungi at the original habitat of the plant which protect the plant against attacks of bacteria by antibiotics.

If we are out of luck these fungi can only exist on living roots of trees. Then we have the same problem as we have with the European orchid Cephalanthera damasonium, Limodorum abortivum or Neottia nidus-avis .
We are unable to cultivate this fungus in pots.

The other way is to sow the species and select more robust individuals. But that takes 2 generations at least (8 to 10 years) and we are no longer the youngest human beings.
For sowing we need green pods for good germination but it is difficult to get access to it in Germany.

Fungi aside, I can't say I am surprised at the result given the condition of the plant. Some Cyps seem to respond OK to mistreatment (notably ones in subsection Cypripedium), while others don't transplant well even if they are carefully collected, transported, etc. Go figure.

Still, such plants are often the way in which new species are introduced into the hobby. This species I'd imagine will be a tough one to keep longterm - perhaps much like C. lichiangense - only for the diehard terrestrial growers with very high skill and a fair bit of luck too.

Too bad seed isn't more easily available. I'm going to guess this species is rare in cultivation even within its native range, which says something.

Some Cyps seem to respond OK to mistreatment (notably ones in subsection Cypripedium), while others don't transplant well even if they are carefully collected, transported, etc.
This species I'd imagine will be a tough one to keep longterm - perhaps much like C. lichiangense - only for the diehard terrestrial growers with very high skill and a fair bit of luck too.
You have the same problem with this species as with the species completely free of chlorophyll like Neottia nidus avis. Cypripedium passerinum and irapeanum is similar.

A very hight skill doesn't help You. First You have to keep alive the fungus and You can train on truffle.

A very hight skill doesn't help You. First You have to keep alive the fungus and You can train on truffle.

Not to argue, but how did Bill Steele successfully grow and flower this species from seed without a fungal symbiont? See the flowering plant here:
http://www.spanglecreeklabs.com/photoga2.html

I was pen-pals with him back in the late 90's and he said growing this one from seed was tricky, but he never mentioned using a fungal symbiont in the compost. I might add that he grew and flowered this plant in Minnesota, not Washington state, far away from any fungi native to its homelands.

Thoughts?

May be he has the fungi in his substrate he picked up in the garden or near by. I think he will not sterilize the substrate before use.
May be he has different microorganisms in his garden the plants are used to and are resistant. But in Europe we have a different collection of fungi and microorganisms in nature.
Under (nearly) sterile condition it should be possible to grow fasciculatum in Europe also. That is demonstrated with Cypripedium irapeanum.

It is possible to sow some European orchid species (for example Dactylorhiza and Ophrys) in pot and have germination non sterile. That means, the necessary germinator fungus lives in the pot substrate. But You need an laboratory equipment to verify the fungus in the substrate because of very thin fungi hyphens.

Oh, Oh its so interesting hearing Berthold to lecture
about sowing and growing orchids.
How stupid we are.............
Thank you Berthold.

But I think that Berthold suffers a severe illness,
which is called FUNGIMANIA
and it is differrent from "bigfoot" fungus

OK, to be honest.
everybody in this forum knows.
that Cypripediums and other orchids
can be sown asymbiotically in the lab.
and that also adult Cypripediums do NOT need
necessarily any fungus to grow.

possibly the environmental conditions are not OK,
humidity, temperature, light, soil PH, etc.

BUT sometimes there seem to be specimen, which are
"a little bit sensitive" against some microbacteria and fungi
AND THESE CANNOT BE CULTIVATED!!
SO EASY IS IT!

Not to argue, but how did Bill Steele successfully grow and flower this species from seed without a fungal symbiont? See the flowering plant here:
http://www.spanglecreeklabs.com/photoga2.html

I was pen-pals with him back in the late 90's and he said growing this one from seed was tricky, but he never mentioned using a fungal symbiont in the compost. I might add that he grew and flowered this plant in Minnesota, not Washington state, far away from any fungi native to its homelands.

Thoughts?

The 3. possibility of course is that there is a selection based on a little genetic variation. I can imagine that 1 of 100 seedlings is more resistant against attacks of bacteria and can come to flower in a pot.
We have such plants of Cypripedium montanum now in Europe which are pretty easy in cultivation and do not rot any longer so fast.

Oh, Oh its so interesting hearing Berthold to lecture
about sowing and growing orchids.
How stupid we are.............
Thank you Berthold.

But I think that Berthold suffers a severe illness,
which is called FUNGIMANIA
and it is differrent from "bigfoot" fungus

OK, to be honest.
everybody in this forum knows.
that Cypripediums and other orchids

can be sown asymbiotically in the lab.
and that also adult Cypripediums do NOT need
necessarily any fungus to grow.

possibly the environmental conditions are not OK,
humidity, temperature, light, soil PH, etc.

BUT sometimes there seem to be specimen, which are
"a little bit sensitive" against some microbacteria and fungi
AND THESE CANNOT BE CULTIVATED!!
SO EASY IS IT!

I think it is only question of good luck. This man grow this sp as good as possible, but this plant never met any pathogenes.

Fungi aside, I can't say I am surprised at the result given the condition of the plant.

There was done a lot of research about orchid mycorrhiza.

So the transport of substances from the orchid via the hyphen of the fungus into the roots of a living tree was monitored by radioactive marked elements.

Then a plant (Cephalanthera damasonium) was excavated at natural habitat without injure the root system. Then the plant was buried again very close to the old place, only 10 feet away. And the plant rotted within next 6 months.
The assumption is that the connection to the fungi was interrupted by the replanting and the plant was no longer able to protect itself against infections due to missing antibiotics from the fungus.

I found similar effects by replanting Himantoglossum hircinum in the garden. Plant was moved for 3 feet only and it died

Latest posts

Back