Cypripedium Emil

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
ok I'm naughty. I decided to make a small garden plant order with Fraser's Thimble Farms and Cyp Emil and Michael got sneaked in. Emil is parviflorum x calceolus. I think I had the plant for around 2 weeks
DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

I definitely have buds on this one. I think I'm going to grow this one indoors and bloom it earlier than a usual outdoors cyp each year. I suspect that it will be easier with pot culture than dividing a piece of my Cyp. pubescens because of hybrid vigor, looking at how fast these plants propagate for people. The only issue is that hybrids are so expensive.

Are the second generation hybrids out there? I only see primary ones

Nice! Emil is an awesome hybrid. I started in 2007 with a single-stemmed, single-flowered plant and last year the plant had 5 growths and 3 flowers! I can't wait to see what it does next year.

Great addition! Can't wait until you post photos of the blooms!!

ok 3 days later, photo taken right now
DSCN0306.jpg

my Michael did something really wierd (I think). its first leaf came out like a tube and I only just realized it won't open since the ends were connected. Sort of onion like.:confused: Anyway I split the leaf open with scissors so the new leaf won't have to go up so high. I don't think it will bloom though the rhizome is BS, but I probably won't see the bloom anyway unless it blooms in June. The only small thing I'd criticize about Fraser's Thimble Farms and spring ordering is that the cyps were out of dormancy, I'm not sure if they were that way already at the nursery or if they did it in the box. I submitted my order very early, but it took them some time. Anyway they are awesome selection

I changed my MH light bulb and the foot candles were double the old bulb suprisingly. i'll make sure I don't go past a year, that is quite a difference. I am suprised then that my Emil leafed out and budded on probably 200 fc (my guess at the edges). No wonder my caudatum-type phrags were so dark in leaf colour

my Michael did something really wierd (I think). its first leaf came out like a tube and I only just realized it won't open since the ends were connected. Sort of onion like.:confused: Anyway I split the leaf open with scissors so the new leaf won't have to go up so high. I don't think it will bloom though the rhizome is BS, but I probably won't see the bloom anyway unless it blooms in June. The only small thing I'd criticize about Fraser's Thimble Farms and spring ordering is that the cyps were out of dormancy, I'm not sure if they were that way already at the nursery or if they did it in the box. I submitted my order very early, but it took them some time. Anyway they are awesome selection

I changed my MH light bulb and the foot candles were double the old bulb suprisingly. i'll make sure I don't go past a year, that is quite a difference. I am suprised then that my Emil leafed out and budded on probably 200 fc (my guess at the edges). No wonder my caudatum-type phrags were so dark in leaf colour

So you mean the leaf edges on the Michael were fused together? That's weird...Well it should bloom in May if it is leafing out now, if it is going to. BS rhizomes are usually not guaranteed to bloom the first year, they just expect that it will based on age and what it looked like the previous year. I have wanted to order from Fraser's for a long time. They must have waited to ship because they were concerned about weather. Did they ship bare-root?

That's interesting, your findings on the MH bulb. I am planning on getting one so it's good to know.

The Emil looks good! I can't wait for Cyp season!!

Yup it was fused together, I'm glad a figured that out. The centre of the plant is odd (maybe two leads?), I'll know what it is when it gets bigger.

The only small thing I'd criticize about Fraser's Thimble Farms and spring ordering is that the cyps were out of dormancy, I'm not sure if they were that way already at the nursery or if they did it in the box. I submitted my order very early, but it took them some time. Anyway they are awesome selection

Looking very nice Fren. I'm always hesitant to make spring orders for this very reason. Plants can grow a lot in just a handful of days once they commence growth and that easily leads to deformed growths, blasted buds, and sometimes even death. Fall shipment is the way to go in my opinion.

I think Alberta might be too cold for shipping in the prior months. My first order with Fraser Thimble Farm this year was in Feb, and got my plants in a weeks time. I think the cyps are already leafing out at the nursery by the time it's warm enough to ship to Alberta. In outdoor, protected environment, cyps usually break dormancy mid Feb to early March in BC. My parviflorum is already blooming!

Fall shipping it is then next time. I think winter isn't too big of a issue in a parcel. I've had one that one rhizome shipment in unexpected -30C weather this year and they came ok, and also when I got my first cyps a few years ago in december.

If they break dormancy in early March in BC then my plants must have been refrigerated ones, which is thoughtful of them considering the majority of the country does not get that weather. I got them at the beginning of april and they were not that advanced. I just knew they were out of dormancy. That is huge weather differences only a province apart, I think I need to move to BC...I have to keep my Japanese Maple in the garage because of our weather. That also explains why the trout lily I bought was already leafed out. I don't think Hole's Greenhouse and Gardens close by has these.

Anyway Michael is still growing so it will come out next year normal and hopefully with new leads:)

Fall shipping it is then next time. I think winter isn't too big of a issue in a parcel. I've had one that one rhizome shipment in unexpected -30C weather this year and they came ok, and also when I got my first cyps a few years ago in december.

If they break dormancy in early March in BC then my plants must have been refrigerated ones, which is thoughtful of them considering the majority of the country does not get that weather. I got them at the beginning of april and they were not that advanced. I just knew they were out of dormancy. That is huge weather differences only a province apart, I think I need to move to BC...I have to keep my Japanese Maple in the garage because of our weather. That also explains why the trout lily I bought was already leafed out. I don't think Hole's Greenhouse and Gardens close by has these.

Anyway Michael is still growing so it will come out next year normal and hopefully with new leads:)

BC is a lot warmer than Alberta - much of it is zone 6-8 compared to our zone 3 :mad:.

Hole's used to carry Erythronium but no longer (another thing that makes me :mad:).

We are all curious to see what the Michael does!

I've always ordered from FTF in the fall, usually October, with excellent results. The prices are a little high, and shipping is insane, but it's probably the best place in Canada for hardy and semi-hardy orchids.

Latest posts

Back