Cypripedium calceolus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
calceolus; watching the snow; waiting for spring.
img_4511.jpg

img_4510.jpg

Welcome first of all.
Secondly... would you like to share your growing methods? Are those just in a sterile jar?

I want two! Can't wait for spring.

I'm anxious to see what comes out of the ground of what I planted last fall.

Thanks for your welcome.
These young plants are for my garden. I will store the jars in a fridge from next week till May. That’s the reason I sorted them the last days and an occasion for the pictures.
European calceolus grows in my garden in the natural soil without any shelter.
Ulla Silkens five years in the garden.
img_3510.jpg

In 2015 I made this picture from the sorting of calceolus jars before cold treatment in January.
img_2510.jpg

My favorite hardy orchid are Dactylorhiza; so I mostly grow these in my garden.

I can't believe it. What an excellent thing. Do you have to amend your garden for the marsh orchids? It looks like you have enough for all of Lower Saxony.
Don
For growing marsh orchids (and Cypripedium) in sandy soil it is helpful to add some dolomite CaMg(CO3)2. Before the place became my garden; it was used intensively for hay production with the result of acidification. In the early years I added lots of calcium to the soil for a suitable pH. Marsh orchids and their mycorrhiza are not in need of Ca; but because of any reason it makes the plant healthier. (for Cypripedium mycorrhiza Ca is indispensable)

The structure of this soil is difficult to describe, it is suitable for most European orchids.
img_1710.jpg

img_0010.jpg

Growing marsh orchids in vitro is easy
img_7410.jpg

img_1110.jpg

Very impressive programn:clap::clap:

I think you should correspond with Dr Zettler at Illinois College.
I don´t think that this is “science”. It doesn’t even get in touch with the “scientific way of processing” nowadays. Growing Cypripedium kentuckiense in a jar till it could flower is more like growing a bonsai than anything else.

img_9810.jpg

I don´t think that this is “science”. It doesn’t even get in touch with the “scientific way of processing” nowadays. Growing Cypripedium kentuckiense in a jar till it could flower is more like growing a bonsai than anything else.

Don't worry about that. Dr Z operates a orchid micro-propagation lab dedicated to orchid conservation. He specializes in mycorrhizal relationships and collaboration with other successful flaskers would always be viewed as potential to learn new insights.

The “potting mix” is just sandy soil from under the turf in my garden. Dactylorhiza do better in boarders than in containers. My container culture is only a compromise if I have to wash cold treated vitro plants and there is no possibility to plant them directly in beds. In a normal winter Dactylorhiza in containers will not be damaged by frost here; but by permanent altering of temperature and moisture.

Latest posts

Back