cypripedium calceolus var. parviflorum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't tell where you live. If you live in the states and it's a native plant, it'd be Cyp. parviflorum of either parviflorum or pubesens variety. If you live in Europe and it's a native plant, it'd be Cyp. calceolus. It's a very lovely plant!! Great growing

Assuming you are in North America a wild plant would no longer be considered Cyp. calceolus, a species from Eurasia. Cyp. parviflorum and Cyp. pubescens can either be considered individual species or as varieties of Cyp. parviflorum, but not varieties of calceolus. Since the most easily observed difference between pubescens and parviflorum is size, which you didn't mention, I won't guess which you have, but it is one or the other.

I'll guess - it looks like the large yellow (Cyp. parviflorum var. pubecens). The small yellows in North America and the calceolus in Europe look similar to each other, but they do look different from the large yellow. It can get quite confusing, since there may be hybrids, but to me, your plant has the look of the large yellow. Where is your backyard?

I'm in Minnesota, the lateral sepals are 2 3/4" each and the dorsal sepal is about 2 1/2" tall by 3/4" wide.

:)

Back