Cypripedium broken dormancy? Safe for fall planting?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
My Cyp. Emil might have broken dormancy. It has turned green. I'm just wondering if it is safe for the winter outdoors (-30oC)?

What happened is that The plant broke dormancy in early Feb this year. It lost its leaves very early for some reason. I had planted the pot outside, maybe in July, hoping that I could get it into a normal cycle. However this fall it looks like this. Is it safe to plant outside (The spring come in May next year)?? Or is it too late and I should let it grow? It did not get a cool dormancy. I just repotted it and it looks good.

DSCN1016.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

A good question,
if it stay like this, I would wait and cover it, if it grows on before it get colder, I would bring it in.
Never had that, but some of my noses looks green too, if a light reach them.
So I put medium over them

I will do as Dido because it is a valuable plant....

I wonder if there are some dormant buds that could help the plant next spring. Some Cyps can freeze in early spring and easily recover (my plants of C. regale knew many hard frosts in May or early June. It is so horrible to seem them browning after that... But they always recover, although we often miss flowers because of that).

I have some new green noses above ground also. Like Dido said wait to cover them after it frosts as they will rot.

made the experience till they are opened they are very hard if they are start to open, the growth will be sensible to frost.
Even formusanum, which I always have trouble in my region, because of late frost, if the are not open nothing happen but a little bit than they are dead.

if you have a cool night I would put the cover over t to keep it in the ground.

Thanks for the responses!!!

You guys are saying that it can get through the winter. Even though it is green like this?

I haven't had to deal with this before, and it scares me since it is down to a single growth. (not a cheap plant) A lesson is that this cross is not meant for indoor pot growing, even with a refrigerator. The plant slowly went downhill, going into dormancy earlier than outdoor plants a few times. Perhaps the roots don't stay cool enough? (even though the house stays fairly cool, no higher than 22oC this year. I dont know what the roots got outside, matbe I should have refridgerated it for the rest of the summer)

yesterday I read a article that stated Cyp parviflorum var. parviflorum is unsuccessful in warm climate with pot culture and refrigerator (I guess I can think of indoors as a near equivalent), I believe it is a parent of this cross.

Jo, I might contact Shawn soon.

UPDATE!!

I just wanted to let eveyone know that it is possible for it to survive the winter, even though it started getting green in the fall.

The plant is around 2 inches tall now - Too tall at this time of year, since it risks frost, ahead of the other cyps (including parviflorum)

With that said, it has been an unusually mild winter. Little snowfall for protection. I did also mulch it heavily though!

Appears all the cyps are breaking dormancy now.

Nice to here,

here we have the same problem, but a lot of cyps look extremly terrible after this winter.
My Fasciolatums looks not good, and I think no flowers this year.

Latest posts

Back