Cypripedium acuale in-situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I was reviewing some old photos and came across a set of pics I took a few years ago. At the time, I had never seen a cyp in the wild, so imagine my absolute amazement when I was at one of the local parks and happened upon an area that was covered in hundreds or maybe even thousands of flowering acuales.

These photos were taken in mid-April with my old camera, so the image quality isn't that great.

acaule1.jpg

acaule2.jpg

acaule_clump_buds.jpg

acaule_colony.jpg

Thanks Rick. I just got a new camera so my plan is to go back to that spot this year to take some higher res and better quality photos.

These were growing next to a large lake when I took the pics. Since then, the lake has been partially drained. I'm curious how that will affect growth and flowering.

ONce I went with Charles to see some and they were growing in a hot dry spot so I think they will do OK with the lake being drained. Fingers crossed.

They definitely like it dry. My acaules in LI do very well without any additional water.

They definitely like it dry. My acaules in LI do very well without any additional water.

I'm hopeful. I didn't make it back to that location last year to check up on them, so it's hard to say how well this population has done with the relatively sudden change in conditions.

Acuale actually seems to grow all over the place around here -- since discovering that population I've encountered them at multiple locations. I'm surprised it took me so long to locate one in the wild. Since discovering that population, I've actually noticed lots of non-blooming plants at other locations as well, but not in such a high density.

Around here, I see lots of Goodyera pubescens, Tipularia discolor, several species of Spiranthes and Liparis lilifolia.

I'm always on the look out for cyp. pubescens, which is supposed to be native to this area, but as of yet, I've never seen one outside of private gardens.

The first time I saw acuale in bloom was at Breckinridge orchids in Greensboro, NC circa 2003/2004. Mark had acquired a number of flats of them that were collected legally from various construction sites in the area.

The plants I photographed represented the first time I saw them in the wild.

Last edited:
Hey Grand Chupacabra, do you know if the lake is natural? C. acaule doesn't need a subterranean water source to be happy. It is likely that population has been there longer than the lake itself, assuming the lake is artificial. This was the first wild orchid species I ever saw - around 40 years ago in southern New York. This species is pretty uncommon in the piedmont regions, especially nowadays. The mountains have sizable populations.

Did you mean Liparis lilifolia?

Charles, it is recorded up to extreme northeastern corner of Alberta around 60 N latitude, and perhaps up to the Northwest Territories, but still south of the Arctic Circle (which is a tad north of 66 degrees).

Beautiful pictures of a super plant. We were looking at them in the Algonquin Park in Ontario last spring,nothing like that many.

I like the picture of the alba form. That is not often seen. There is a park about twenty minutes from me that has about a thousand of them growing. I saw an alba there once.

Charles, it is recorded up to extreme northeastern corner of Alberta around 60 N latitude, and perhaps up to the Northwest Territories, but still south of the Arctic Circle (which is a tad north of 66 degrees).

okay, thank you. could be memory is of something that grows 'near' the arctic circle, or swapping with another orchid

a very quick search listed cyps passerinum, guttatum and coeloglossum viride as living north of the line

Couple things - the plant that folks think might be an alba is not, but rather one with immature flowers. The lips all start out white and pink up rapidly as they expand. The alba flowered plant is indeed rare, in the southern end of this plant's range in particular - in have seen thousands of specimens from southern New York state through the mountains to northern Georgia over a 30 year period and never saw one true alba flower (lucky you Cheyenne!). They become much more frequent in New England.

One other clarification - I meant to say that C. parviflorum v. pubescens is uncommon in the piedmont region and much more common in the mountains, not C. acaule. C. acaule seems to be rare only along the coastal plain, especially in Virginia, North Carolina, and most especially in South Carolina where it is recorded from Georgetown County, south of Myrtle Beach! I've heard that populations in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio as well have always been rare, probably due in large part to the sweet soils of the midwest.

Last edited:
The spot I have seen them is in Delaware, near a pond with pretty wet soil. It is a lot of forest debris broken down, looks kind of muddy. Someone from my orchid society goes every year to a spot in Pennsylvania where there is acule. I have not gone yet. They say that there is alba acule there. They thought someone stole them because one year the alba was not there. But then the next year it was back so it must of skipped a year. I have also heard of a site in Maryland but I cannot remember the exact area.

Someone else told me that cyp. Candidum (I think) grows in the Susquehanna area in Maryland. I cannot confirm this. Does anyone else know? Also I have been looking in Maryland for cyp regine, one of the people my wife works with sent here a picture of a wierd flower they didn't know what it was. When she showed it to me it was definitely regine. Does anyone else know of it growing here. I was to go hunting this spring so I am trying to find out what grows in my area. Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back