Cypripedium acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to harp on a subject, but are the acaule in a protected area? The mountains of southeastern KY used
to be literally covered with acaule and several other
Cyps. and wild flowers and now they're all gone due to
strip mining, expanding population, and just plain
stupidity.

I hate to harp on a subject, but are the acaule in a protected area? The mountains of southeastern KY used
to be literally covered with acaule and several other
Cyps. and wild flowers and now they're all gone due to
strip mining, expanding population, and just plain
stupidity.

Some are in protected area's, like the Brule State forest. The area these pictures were taken, however were not, they were growing in a Red Pine plantation, and we had noticed that heavy equipment had been in these areas just a short time ago, and had even drove over some of these acaule's. Also there is always the danger that some day they will harvest the red Pine, and when this happens most of the acaule plants will probably die. Very sad . Luckily in Northern Wisconsin this Orchid is still pretty common, and hopefully there are still big enough populations that they can survive.

Robert

They are blooming now here in Ontario.

Blloming season for acaule is typically early June to early July (with exceptions due to local conditions).

I often find them in close promimity to cyp reg. and cyp parvi pub populations.

Great shots Robert! Hope you don't mind, I snapped a few shots myself last weekend of some acuale in western Ontario. I was on a canoe trip and they were everywhere. My apologies for image quality, I only had my phone on me.

20160617_175909.jpg

20160617_180015_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

20160617_180138_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

Is this the most wide spread species in North America?

I've seen it many times while traveling around in the Northeast.
I like the intense color, but the pouch really creeps me out. lol

It's a pleasure to see acaule growing anywhere undisturbed. Yes, if the pine trees go, the acaule will be
gone shortly thereafter. Pine bark beetles took our native
pines and a very large stand of acaule were gone about
two years later.

Awesome to see this species in flower and it's almost July! Then again, C. tibeticum and flavum are probably still in flower now in China...

Is this the most wide spread species in North America?

Nope, that honor goes to C. parviflorum, (both varieties, though v. pubescens probably is a bit more widely distributed).

I've seen it many times while traveling around in the Northeast.
I like the intense color, but the pouch really creeps me out. lol

Ha ha. A friend of mine killed my image of this flower one day when he dubbed it "the pink testicle plant". I wanted to kill him :sob:

I love parviflorum but haven't seen any in the wild. Only in the gardens.

Your friend's description is my initial thought when I saw this at first. Gross!!!

Well, in Korean, these are called Dog's Testicle flower. Literal translation.
And this American species is even worse!!!lol

Latest posts

Back