Cypripedium acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
I purchased this plant on EBay in 2012 as a collected plant from a licensed collector in North Carolina. At that time, it had one growth that had a flower bud on it (it was a spring delivery). I potted it up as usual in the cypripedium mix many people use (seramis, and other inorganic items like perlite and stalite). It did not do well. I did cut off the flower bud before it could bloom but even that was not helpful. I tried the use of acidified water (vinegar as the acidifier) with no great success. I decided to resort to geochemistry 101 and repot in pure granite gravel a month after I got it. The plant turned right around within a few weeks and looked healthy. Its leaves were a bit yellow on my usual fertilizer regimen (urea-free fertilizer at 125-150 ppm per week) so I doubled its fertilizer and the leaves turned green in a few more weeks. It went in the fridge with my other cypripediums that winter and came back with two growths last year, but no flower. This year, it has three growths and two flowers. Despite being a common woodland plant in this part of the world, I think that it looks very exotic. It also has a pleasant, sweet-spicy scent that I never appreciated in the wild (although not as powerful as Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum).

Cypripediumacauleplant04-18-2014_zpsbb03a54b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cypripediumacauleflower04-18-2014_zps006aafbc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cypripediumacauleplantmeasured04-18-2014_zps7b4b0f2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I potted it up as usual in the cypripedium mix many people use (seramis, and other inorganic items like perlite and stalite). It did not do well. I did cut off the flower bud before it could bloom but even that was not helpful. I tried the use of acidified water (vinegar as the acidifier) with no great success.

But this species does well in that mix if You consequently water it with a pH 3.5 acidified water and don't set the pot in rain, which raises the pH-value up to 6 very quickly.

Nice. I'm hoping to head out to a local "swarm" of this species either this weekend or next to take some photos. I'd never noticed any fragrance on these, so I'll have to check again.

But this species does well in that mix if You consequently water it with a pH 3.5 acidified water and don't set the pot in rain, which raises the pH-value up to 6 very quickly.

I may have used the wrong concentration of vinegar. This method seems to work well without the added complications of acidification of the water used to water the plant. Also, I grow my plants entirely indoors so no rain water contaminates the plant.

This is really wonderful! Bravo!

So, the whole pot is pure granite gravel? Is the gravel acidic? Where does one find pure granite gravel for sale? Thanks!

This method seems to work well without the added complications of acidification of the water used to water the plant.

I agree, its the best way of course. But You normally don't find granite gravel with a pH-value which is low enough for Cypripedium acaule. It should be between 3.3 and 4.5 in a long term.

Congrats on growing this in a pot.
For more acidic water, have you tried "peat tea?" Soak peat moss in a garbage can and use the tannic water. I guess you could use oak leaves and pine needles to replicate more natural tannins.

JPMC,
good jub, congrats.
despite all well mean recommendations,
I mean:
NEVER CHANGE A WINNING TEAM.

just make in future wat alrady is sucessful,
granit and fertiliser :clap:

This is really wonderful! Bravo!

So, the whole pot is pure granite gravel? Is the gravel acidic? Where does one find pure granite gravel for sale? Thanks!

Yes, it is in pure granite gravel. As I recall from an undergraduate course many years ago, granite is an acidic mineral. I bought mine from an on-line source called Repotme.com but I've seen it in garden stores locally too.

I recall reading a theory that the acidic soil/medium prevents the growth of some bacteria and fungi that can easily overwhelm this plant. Interestingly, I've noticed that moss and algae grow on the clay pot but not on the granite gravel. You can see this at the bottom of the full plant images. I don't know that this proves anything but the observation fits the theory.

Congrats on growing this in a pot.
For more acidic water, have you tried "peat tea?" Soak peat moss in a garbage can and use the tannic water. I guess you could use oak leaves and pine needles to replicate more natural tannins.

I have not but it might work. I do not have the room to set up that sort of apparatus in my apartment.

I agree, its the best way of course. But You normally don't find granite gravel with a pH-value which is low enough for Cypripedium acaule. It should be between 3.3 and 4.5 in a long term.

I don't claim any great expertise in geochemistry, but I do recall that granite is an acidic mineral. I'm sure that different granites have a different chemistry yielding a different pH. The grey and black type of granite I have used seems to work so far so you make me curious about its pH. Not sure how to measure it though.

Not sure how to measure it though.

Crash it a little bit and put in distilled water, leave it 2 days on the kitchen board and then measure the pH-value.
Generally it should be in the acid range. But the question is how much.

Great job! It may be a good clone to propagate since it seems to grow well without low pH soil. So are you growing this indoor under artificial light?

Latest posts

Back