Cypripedium acaule in Newfoundland

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
Our slipper season has finally started. This year I've seen more C. acaule than ever before. last year was great but this year is stunning! Here are a bunch of pics. This is the first year I've seen this pale-pouched form and in the area I walk, I found 3 plants like this.

Cypripediumacaule31.jpg

Cypripediumacaule37.jpg

Cypripediumacaulepale1.jpg

Awesome shots Todd. It is so cool that slippers BEGIN to flower in late June for you guys - although I wouldn't want to endure your winters. Do you carry black cloth into the field to get those black backgrounds?

Wonderful! Please also post shots of the various parviflorum varieties as they come into flower.

I agree, those are much darker than the flowers I've seen around here. All of the ones I've seen are a pale pink.
Great pics btw!

Beautiful!!!:drool: And the photos are exceptional.

Guess, I'd better take me & my camera for a walk in the woods here in Maine to see what's out there. I might be too late, though.......

There is actually quite a lot of variation, but I agree the more horizonatal stance and shortness of the pale form are a bit unusual. The other two plants I found should be open by the end of the week. I'll see if they have a similar effect.

Beautiful photos Todd! I still haven't been out hunting here yet. But I bet they're late here too...everything else is this year...

Latest posts

Back