Cypripedium 2011

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Hakone,
Thank you for these interesting pictures, and many Japanese soil. I read these link, some paper said AKADAMA赤玉 and KANUMA鹿沼 is suitable for Rhododendron plants. In another words, they are acid

I use 10% AKADAMA to grow ventricosum, nice roots. but never try other species especially lime stone species----I grow them in 植金石(Sorry I do not know how to speak in English):perlite=1:1, mostly big species are ok. But maybe too dry for small species (bardolphyanum debile etc.)

My experience, If a little peat in compost, C.henryi will not produce new roots, or black tip of it. My city is much warmer than 30 years ago, at that time, here climate is same as Berlin. Now, summer is warmer than Tokyo!

Maybe these Cypris are sensitive in warmer climate, need more suitable soil. Or any advice for compost in heat weather? thank you in advanced.

PS: I saw local nursery in Japan, grow C.hotei in pure humus.....or black soil...

Dear yijiawang,

Thank you very much for your question.

I do not intend to show a rare blooming plant in a pot . I am just happy , when the plants growth for a long long time .

Akadama, Kanuma, Kyriu reduce the PH level and thus protect the plants from infections.

Every plant has its individual requirement. So i add each plants their specially needs more : Akadama, Seramis, limes clay/tone.....

It is important to keep the humidity at constant level, therefore, 3 time per day water fro the plants.

If the soil is good, so the seedling will growth well.

Best regard

Hey Hakone,

It looks like whatever you are doing is working well for your plants. I guess the hardest part is buying those soils in Europe. Over here they are cheap of course.

@Yijia, that is a stunning specimen of C. formosanum album. I don't even want to wrap my mind around what it is worth in Japan.

Both kanuma and akadama are used for many woodland plants, ericaceous shrubs, and of course bonsai in Japan. As for how acidic they are, it seems that right around pH 4.5 to 5, at least straight out of the bag. The great advantage of these is not the pH so much as their ability to retain moisture and yet remain very open and airy. Those conditions allow for great development of secondary roots, and so they make a perfect growing medium for bonsai and for rooting cuttings, etc. I should add that in Japan at least both are used only in pots, never as a soil amendment.

Personally, I don't grow my Cyps in them as such though, preferring pumice as a base compost for most species. Like you, I have to contend with very hot summers here and the problem is keeping Cyp roots cool enough - preferably below 20 C. I tried many methods of growing in pots, but all were not enough. Pots just heat up too much unless you can provide artificial cooling somehow. The best way to combat heat is by growing them in the ground.

Virtually all my Cyps are now grow in elevated beds on the edge of a woodland. The soil there is a sticky, volcanic clay-loam that drains very slowly - certain death for most Cyps. To construct a bed I first mound the native soil up around 15 cm above the natural level. On top of this is a mix of pumice, kanuma, and seedling orchid bark in the ratio of 5:1:0.5, respectively. Plants are grown directly in this and after one year the beds typically become covered in mosses, so I don't mulch with anything. Inorganic fertilizer with micronutrients is applied from April through mid July when the subtropical heat starts.

This system seems to work fairly well for me. The moisture in the wet native soil is always wicking upward into the Cyp compost and that seems to keep the roots just cool enough. In August and early September the heat increases and it dries out, so additional water has to be sprayed at that time. There definitely is a limit to what I can grow here. I'll post a thread about it once my plants have grown more.

Growing C. macranthos in pure humus seems a bit risky to me, even in a truly cool climate. Here it would mean death in less than a month.

Hello Hakone,
Thank you very much, yes growing pleasure is only belong to biology. I found need many watering if use Japanese soil, but roots are very well too. I think I should build an auto spray for these Cypris. PS: I like Fri too, lol. For bulb flower, maybe need take care in high humus soil. Some of rare lilium were destroyed by mites in my garden...

Hello Tom,
Thank you very much too, and congratulation you found one nice way to grow Cypris in open garden. Next step is collect collect and collect, lol. I will introduce this method to my friend, very useful! What species in your garden and grow well? because I saw Ulla Silkens can not survive in your city~ I just wanted to try it ~

Razania japonica (トガクシショウマ ) -------- cyp. fargesii ---- cyp. lichiangense ---- pleione – crocus – cyp. formosanum ---------- cyp. japonicum ---------- cyp. princess ---- cyp. flavum

hey,
enjoy :)

20110420-124636-267.jpg

Cypripedium acaule and acaule alba --- arietinum --- arietinum alba --- bouffordianum -- calceolus --- calceolus alba with 6 flowers per stem !!! every year --pure yellow calceolus flavum --- candidum --- cordigerum --- fargesii -- farreri --- fasciolatum --- flavum, different color variants --- formosanum --- formosanum alba --- guttatum --- hotei-atsumorianum, different colors incl. "kamanashi" clone and forma alba --- japonicum --- japonicum alba ---kentuckiense, different color variants incl. rare pure yellow flower form --- lichiangense --- macranthos --- macranthos alba --- margritaceum --- parviflorum --- parviflorum forma tortipetalum --- plectrochilum incl. plectrochilum alba form --- pubescens, different color variants --- pubescens forma planipetalum ------ rebunense --- reginae --- reginae alba --- segawai --- shanxiense --- tibeticum incl. pure yellow form --- tibeticum var. red leaf --- ventricosum many color forms incl. several white flower forms --- yatabeanum --- X alaskanum --- X andrewsii.

Very sorry in the case I forgot one...................

BUT sorry, I do not have the subtropicum and singchii.
I dont like it ....................

Carpe diem

very very sorry, but I do not understand what you mean..................::p

hey,

Cypripedium acaule and acaule alba --- arietinum --- arietinum alba --- bouffordianum -- calceolus --- calceolus alba with 6 flowers per stem !!! every year --pure yellow calceolus flavum --- candidum --- cordigerum --- fargesii -- farreri --- fasciolatum --- flavum, different color variants --- formosanum --- formosanum alba --- guttatum --- hotei-atsumorianum, different colors incl. "kamanashi" clone and forma alba --- japonicum --- japonicum alba ---kentuckiense, different color variants incl. rare pure yellow flower form --- lichiangense --- macranthos --- macranthos alba --- margritaceum --- parviflorum --- parviflorum forma tortipetalum --- plectrochilum incl. plectrochilum alba form --- pubescens, different color variants --- pubescens forma planipetalum ------ rebunense --- reginae --- reginae alba --- segawai --- shanxiense --- tibeticum incl. pure yellow form --- tibeticum var. red leaf --- ventricosum many color forms incl. several white flower forms --- yatabeanum --- X alaskanum --- X andrewsii.

Carpe diem

Wow, I don't know what to say..........

Impressive :clap:

hey,

20110420-124636-267.jpg

Carpe diem

That's a very respectable "in progress"! :poke::D;):rollhappy:

in progress

today 04.22.11

Lilium ciliatum between cypripedium Aki and x ventricosum

Pleione, cholcicum autumnale, fasciolatum, flavum and macranthos hotei atsumorianum

Pleione , fasciolatum and flavum

Latest posts

Back