Cyp tibeticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
Well done, I like it very much.
As to Ottawa, compared with Europe it isn't situataed that far north - its latitude is 45°25' N. Compared with Europe North Italy is situated at a latitude 45°N.
My town in the middle of Germany is situated 50°16' N.

sergeharvey

Reaction score
I got this last fall when Mrs Perner came to town. We've had unseasonably cool temperatures so it hasn't really been tested yet. It had a spectacular root system. Bareroot it looked like a string mop.

View attachment 15732
tibeticum.PNG
Here's a picture of mine - also from Mrs Perner last fall. Also got a flavum but the flower bud blasted...

TrueNorth

Reaction score
Nice dark one. Did you get one of the more expensive ones? Did it just open? I selfed mine.

sergeharvey

Reaction score
Nice dark one. Did you get one of the more expensive ones? Did it just open? I selfed mine.
It is a regular one and it's been open for a week or so. It is quite dark and that pleases me. I didn't self it since I want the plant to establish properly nd in any case, I'm not into propagation.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
I've seen their nursery stock (made a video if you want to see their nursery back in 2013), and they only use quality flowers for propagating. Even in the wild nearby the nursery C. tibeticum with a white base color are quite beautiful, and the shades from darker to lighter are not that pronounced. Flower shape, and to some degree size, are variable however. I much prefer these clear pink/purple tones over the wine/maroon shades of yellow base colored flowers. So if you buy from Wenqing you are not only guaranteed of buying a laboratory produced plant, but one with pleasing color and shape as well.

TrueNorth

Reaction score
Yes, I've watched that video a couple of times plus several others. They're great! Thanks for posting them.

Reaction score
I’ve tried to grow four of her tibeticum and none made it. I have succeeded with other forms of this species from other sellers. I wonder whether her conditions select for a type that is difficult to keep in my maritime conditions. Her winters sound to be much colder than mine,
David