Cyp.tibeticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not tibeticum.

The order came with tibeticum #1 tag that had 2 new growths and a whole bunch of fresh roots. So, if you say it isn't tibeticum what do you think it is?

I'll be seeing Wenqing at Tamiami but I will not ask about, she has had enough grief in her life to last a lifetime. Losing Holger right after being apart for nearly 4 months is enough to give one a head full of white hair.

That is C. tibeticum. I know Holger's stock plants and have seen enough of these flowers to say that with confidence. It is a flower with white base color instead of yellow, and the flowers look pale, probably due to stress and/or lower light conditions. Being transported across the world in the middle of its rest cycle, and then flowering in March inside, you cannot expect the flower to look "normal".

The trick now is to get it to go into a more normal growth cycle. I would monitor it often to make sure it doesn't start growing after around 6-7 months. I've had more than one orchid do that with refrigerators. Also be careful the pot doesn't freeze. See if you can push it to 7 months in the fridge, after that I'd put it outside in a sunless, protected position.

I'm sure Ron Burch will have something to say about this too. He has grown a number of plants from Hengduan Biotech, and they always break dormancy early.

I agree with Tom that this is tibeticum and that it will color up more with a calm year. Do watch it in the refrigerator to make sure it comes out when it breaks dormancy. Holger's seed grown tibeticum are remarkable!

Thank you for the tip Tom. I do keep an eye on it since it's been in the fridge since late April but what to do in case if it breaks out of its dormancy?

Thank you for the tip Tom. I do keep an eye on it since it's been in the fridge since late April but what to do in case if it breaks out of its dormancy?

Like Ron said, you have no choice but to grow it. I don't think it will appreciate being in the fridge for more than 7, at most 8 months. I am surprised it went dormant so quickly. In the wild they grow from late May thru at least August.

Like Ron said, you have no choice but to grow it. I don't think it will appreciate being in the fridge for more than 7, at most 8 months. I am surprised it went dormant so quickly. In the wild they grow from late May thru at least August.

By mid-April temperatures climbed to mid 80's, I moved into the greenhouse to the coolest area and by mid-May, all the leaves started to wither away. Roots were in great shape when I repotted and moved into the fridge. I'll report back the outcome.

Latest posts

Back