• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Cyp seedlings for sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a large number of Cypripedium seedlings ready to plant out in May in pots. Since few folks raise Cyp's I thought I would try to raise awareness. I will send anyone who wants some, 12 seedlings for $10.00 including packaging and shipping. I can only send to the US though due to CITES and phytosanitary certificate issues. I will send some Cyp reginae and Cyp Favillianum. Both of these are very hardy and not fussy.

If you are interested, send an email message to my home account to avoid backing up the private message facility - [email protected] . I will email culture instructions and payment mailing instructions to you and if you are still interested after reading the instructions let me know by way of an email message with your mailing address for the seedlings.

Best,

Ron Burch

I'm very interested... I've wanted to give these a try for years, but was afraid to spend the money on them, for fear of killing them all off :) You might need to send a double set of instructions to me :D

- Matthew Gore

Wow. That is a spectacular deal. I will have to pass, however, because I already feel too bad about my first attempt at growing Cyps. Not that they are offered, but I would love to have some acule and parviflorum in my garden. Nevertheless, the parviflorum that I bought lasted only a year. I think rot got to it. I need to learn a lot about Cyps before I start down that road. Thanks for the offer.

I would like to give these a try, but wondered if they are mature enough to plant out this year, or will they need pot culture for another year.

Actually some of the best cyp growers I know around here never plant them out. Just grow in pots. I'm just a beginner, myself, but I'm going to try this method.

Basically, it is a mix consisting of ... mostly turkey grit and perlite, with a bit of peat (say 5:5:1). Plants potted in gallon pots, and buried up to the rim in a garden bed. Mulch well with some ground up oak leaves or some bark. They can stay in those pots a long time, I have been told.

ohio-guy said:
I would like to give these a try, but wondered if they are mature enough to plant out this year, or will they need pot culture for another year.

I would definitely keep them in a pot for a year. Usually first year seedlings like this planted outside suffer a high percentage of mortality - they are pretty sensitive to drying out the first year.

Best,

Ron

I would love to try them, but I really don't think I've got the weather for them in the Sacramento Valley, do I?? I looked for their culture requirements and what would be hard for me to get is the right medium to grow them in. Anyone know if they'd work in my area and where to buy the medium for them? I do have a greenhouse they could go it if they don't like it over 90-100 in the summer.

Candace said:
I would love to try them, but I really don't think I've got the weather for them in the Sacramento Valley, do I?? I looked for their culture requirements and what would be hard for me to get is the right medium to grow them in. Anyone know if they'd work in my area and where to buy the medium for them? I do have a greenhouse they could go it if they don't like it over 90-100 in the summer.
Hi, Candace,

In pots they can grow in media like perlite and gravel or smaller particles of the expanded clays that are becoming popular (I use about 50% of that). In the winter you would have to cool them. I am not sure of your winter temps - they need at least 3 good months of freezing temperatures outside (some midwinter thaws are OK) or they have to be refrigerated in the winter inside.

Ron

I have sent 2 emails over the past few days--no response.Is anyone else having trouble?
:confused:

I am still waiting too :sob: I hope we all hear back from him because I am excited to try some of these :drool:

Latest posts

Back