Cyp Season comes to a close...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Well, this has been a so-so year for Cyp flowers in my garden. You have to understand that I live in an area that is the limit for growing these, even the heat tolerant species like C. formosanum and C. kentuckiense have a rough go of it. The summer monsoon seems to be kicking in early this year to boot and that has ravaged many of the flowers - C. parviflorum v. pubescens didn't even get to open its bud before strong winds and pelting rain ripped it to shreds... Ah, just part of the journey.

Here are a few that just finished or are finishing now.

Cyp. kentuckiense - these seem to have established nicely. I don't think you can improve on this species' beauty. Truly one of the most spectacular ones period.

CypKentuckienseSDCL.jpg

C. Philipp (macranthos x kentuckiense) - this is the 3rd year at my place and it is finally flowering, albeit, not very nicely. Should be better next year.

PhilippSD.jpg

Recently acquired is C. henryi. Neat species with very small flowers, but plenty of them (up to ten in very happy plants). It is said they have a spicy odor, but I couldn't detect any scent. I hope it does well.

CypHenryi2.jpg

Finally, the diminutive Japanese native, C. debile. Not much of a looker and you have to literally get on your belly to appreciate it. Tough to establish long term.

Debile.jpg

And that's it since C. reginae decided not to have a bud this year. Ah well, only another 10 months and the new Cyp season will begin :sob:

hey Tom,
great job done with the Cyps in your area.
superiour kentuckiense :)

cheers

:clap::clap: I've certainly enjoyed others cyp season! Thanks for sharing with us that aren't brave enough to take the chance!

Very Nice Tom.. Mine are done too. I only had the 2 flowers this year calceolous & acaule.. They both have seed pods!! :) The seedlings from Ron are doing good. I will post pics this week of them..

But the season is beginning here. Just went up into the Laurentian mountains today to take some pics. I will post them tomorrow. Right now I'm beat climbing up and down the mountain. :)

Back