Cyp Previews

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like any other potted plant you are trying to overwinter outside, you need to make sure the roots don't get as cold as the top. I usually bury all my pots in the ground to the top of the pot. Don't have many Cyps, though, but they should work the same.

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences with the garage. I wonder what the coolest temp a cyp parvifloum would suvive for vernalization. The ground does freeze solid where we are!

Debile is a cute little one!

In the past I have actually had hardy species (parviflorum and reginae) planted in the ground perish over the winter when they were not mulched. In these cases I assumed it was the lack of mulch that killed them because I plant them very shallow to avoid rot (I've had my share of cases of basal rot in the spring too!). It seems like the ground is not frozen as much or as deeply if a few inches of mulch cover it, especially with good snow cover. When the plants are otherwise reasonably planted (i.e. good soil, location, etc.) a good mulch guarantees survival over the dormant period, at least in my experience.

It would be interesting to see some actual numbers on what temperatures they tolerate at the roots during dormancy. All of the literature says not to ever freeze the roots, implying that even 0 C is too cold. Some sources more specifically say that they shouldn't be exposed to frost for extended periods. This, I think, is the most accurate statement. I think that exposure to extreme temperatures such as what would have existed for a week or two in my garage this winter would spell doom, but I suspect that occasional and brief exposure to temps of 0 C to -10 C would be okay. Just some of my thoughts...:confused:.

I have my mostly all outside.
Last winter only loosed a fresh planted kentuckiense.
I grow a lot of in pots.
Acaule will not do well without frost. I have here often temp below 15C and it works. Without snow. I put over the sensitive ones a layer of a special material made from cocos. Help at most in the spring to keept the soil frozen.
I think to much water during the winter and not a good drainage will kill them more than frost.
I have fromosanum growing outside for long years at the same temp. Late frost will kill the most cyp for me over a long period

I have my mostly all outside.
Last winter only loosed a fresh planted kentuckiense.
I grow a lot of in pots.
Acaule will not do well without frost. I have here often temp below 15C and it works. Without snow. I put over the sensitive ones a layer of a special material made from cocos. Help at most in the spring to keept the soil frozen.
I think to much water during the winter and not a good drainage will kill them more than frost.
I have fromosanum growing outside for long years at the same temp. Late frost will kill the most cyp for me over a long period

Do you mean acaule will not do well without frost when planted in the ground or when potted? I agree that wet during the winter (and early spring) will kill them very easily. There has to be a delicate balance - not bone dry, but not too moist either. I keep my potted plants just barely damp during dormancy. I don't have to worry about the ones outside during the winter because they are covered with 3-4 feet of snow. In the spring however, that snow melts. If the plants are not in free-draining soil and/or are planted at a low elevation, the snow forms puddles and rots the plants. Good soil and proper placement are very important!

Your fully right.
But for acaule I think she likes the real cold.
I grow them in a woodlanf soil with a lot of fresh shredded wood from trees.
And bark of pines. And have them in Pots outside.
Will post a photo of my pots the next days.
In England a lot of have problems when they are not really cool in the winter. And I know that soem guys in US I know keep them in the fridge to get healthy. She dont like to much rain in the winter, but love the humdity in the spring.
I make a trial at the moment I planted to plants and som Plantanthera in my forest and a really wet place in a rest of sphagnum and I can not wait if they will start to grow or not.

that could be the point.
I can not tell exactly where it comes from.
I baught it at a shop in Canada about 10 years ago.
On Sankt Edward Island, I lived there for a while.
And than braught them with me to germany, I braught 2,
and from them I raised all my plants with seed and vegetativ.
One of 2 starting plants died after years, and so all blooming ones are cloines from the other one. This year my second seedlings should be ready for bloom, I hope.

Latest posts

Back