Cyp Previews

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
I'm really excited about Cyp season (as usual) and this year I have a few more in pots than usual. These are growing 1-2 months earlier than the garden plants. To share my excitement, here are some preview photos! I'll update them every week or so to show the plant's progress.

The star of the show is Cyp. debile, which is already in bud. I took it out of the fridge in late February because it was already starting into growth. For some reason, the leaves are drooping (as you can see in the picture), though they are turgid. I'm thinking it may have something to do with humidity. At any rate, the flower bud is steadily developing.

Next is Cyp guttatum. This is a new acquisition. It appears to have a tiny flower bud between the leaves and is growing steadily. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it does.

Another new acquisition for me is Cyp calceolus (the real thing, not parviflorum). I have wanted one of these forever, and I am very excited to finally have one. The shoot bud has barely emerged.

Finally we have a good old Cyp parviflorum var. pubescens. I'm pretty sure there's two plants in this pot; they were youngsters that I got a steal of a deal on at work last year. I basically just bought them to experiment with new media and different methods of vernalization. I learned with another pot from the same batch that my garage is TOO COLD to keep dormant Cyps in!

Looking interesting Joe. Can you grow outdoors? In my opinion plants like guttatum and parviflorum would be happier in outside beds. The debile is definitely malformed...such a delicate little thing. For sure they desire lots of humidity.

I can and do grow outdoors. The guttatum was a recent purchase so came potted, and I can't plant yet, not for about 6 weeks at least. The ground is still frozen and we still get frost at night up until mid May. I have about 13 parviflorums outside and just have these in a pot as an experiment.

I am sad about the state of the debile's leaves... it seems healthy but definitely not normal. Don't really know what to do about it though...

Since Debile is such a small species, maybe just a cheap 10 gal aquarium (terrarium) turned in its side so there is glass above and on 3 sides of it might work. You could put some rocks or marbles w/ a little water under them. The whole setup would cost about $15 and might do the job and still let a good airflow around the plant. You could even put the guttatum with it. Just a thought ;- )

Since Debile is such a small species, maybe just a cheap 10 gal aquarium (terrarium) turned in its side so there is glass above and on 3 sides of it might work. You could put some rocks or marbles w/ a little water under them. The whole setup would cost about $15 and might do the job and still let a good airflow around the plant. You could even put the guttatum with it. Just a thought ;- )

The guttatum I'm planning on planting outside later in the year.

It is so dry in this house, that I'm not sure that would do all that much for humidity. But, I'll probably try it! Thnx.

Our home was as low as 25% humidity w/ all the windows shut for winter.
Picked up cheesy humidifier from Walmart for 14.00US. Just a thought.

Our home was as low as 25% humidity w/ all the windows shut for winter.
Picked up cheesy humidifier from Walmart for 14.00US. Just a thought.

I have a small humidifier that I bought years ago when I first started growing tropical orchids. I haven't used it for a while, because I've found that the plants create their own microclimate in my growing spaces and I haven't had any issues with humidity. The Cyp debile is isolated from the other plants though, so it doesn't benefit from the microclimate. I may have to try the 3-sided terrarium thing and see if it helps. The plant is on a humidity tray but those never seem to do much for me.

Looking forward to the blooms!
guttatum is one I'd like to see.

I agree with Joe, I didn't enjoy humidifying the whole room. That is not a good idea in a Canadian winter (mold and mildew). Microclimates are the way to go.

Really nice pictures.

Please keep us updated. Which kind is the cyp near the guttatum.

Did you use the same kind of soil for the debile as for the other kinds.

Because Debile often like it more wet in ground this could help too.

Wish you a lot of luck with it.

Really nice pictures.

Please keep us updated. Which kind is the cyp near the guttatum.

Did you use the same kind of soil for the debile as for the other kinds.

Because Debile often like it more wet in ground this could help too.

Wish you a lot of luck with it.

Next to the guttatum is my froschii.

I don't use the same soil for debile. It is at least 70% inorganic - mostly sand, with a little peat and large perlite. I'm sure if I tried growing it wet in a pot it would rot. It is kept moderately moist and never allowed to dry out.

You can also tape a piece of plastic on the top part of the tank and let it drop over the front with slits/holes to help keep humidity in. if it gets to high just lift up the plastic over the top for more ventilation.

Update

The debile opened a few days ago. It's really tough to get a good photo of it with my equipment; the lip is barely the size of a pea. It actually is quite a pretty little thing. Next year I will have a bit more controlled environment for it so the leaves don't look so weird!

Meanwhile, the guttatum aborted its bud :mad:. Oh well, it should flower next year.

The pubescens is coming along:

It looks like I should see 2 flowers from this pot. Again, I'm pretty sure there are two individual plants in this pot.

The calceolus is coming along slowly as well. I'll post another pic of it next week.

My outdoor plants are still sleeping as the ground is just barely thawing. I've been removing mulch and checking buds this week. My montanum survived the winter and has a number of big fat buds; now it just has to survive the spring! :p These guys can be quite sensitive to moisture buildup from melting snow. Mine is planted in a gritty soil in a raised bed, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Finally we have a good old Cyp parviflorum var. pubescens. I'm pretty sure there's two plants in this pot; they were youngsters that I got a steal of a deal on at work last year. I basically just bought them to experiment with new media and different methods of vernalization. I learned with another pot from the same batch that my garage is TOO COLD to keep dormant Cyps in!

Very cool! Keep the pics coming! I'm just wondering how it could be too cold in your garage to keep dormant Cyps, when they grow wild in much colder temps. I think it is just too dry for them in the garage, or maybe the fact that they are in pots, not insulated, so the cold gets all around, and even under the pot. Try insulating the pot a bit, and watering it a bit and that might help.

Very cool! Keep the pics coming! I'm just wondering how it could be too cold in your garage to keep dormant Cyps, when they grow wild in much colder temps. I think it is just too dry for them in the garage, or maybe the fact that they are in pots, not insulated, so the cold gets all around, and even under the pot. Try insulating the pot a bit, and watering it a bit and that might help.

It is the fact that the pots are exposed to temperatures probably as low as -30 C (maybe colder) in my unheated garage that the plants die. In the ground, as I'm sure you know, the roots are not exposed to such harsh temperatures. The pot was covered with burlap but it clearly didn't help. The pot was watered enough to keep the roots from dessicating as well. I don't think Cyps will survive being frozen solid in pots for extended periods, even the hardy ones.

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences with the garage. I wonder what the coolest temp a cyp parvifloum would suvive for vernalization. The ground does freeze solid where we are!

Debile is a cute little one!

Latest posts

Back