Cyp passerinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
It will still be a while before the Cyps outside show any action, but I would like to share this with all of you, blooming inside now. This first bloom seedling is smaller than my passerinum outside, but the flower is the same size. It is really, really tiny, as you can see with my gigantic fingers holding a penny next to it - it reminds me of Mexipedium. It has a spicy fragrance. The ruler in the one pic is hard to see, but the plant is 4" (10cm) tall. Last year the one outside grew at least twice that height, and it was also a first bloomer last year.

Cyp passerinum is quite uncommon in cultivation, even here, where plants can be found in the wild 30 minutes from home. While not the showiest orchid I find it very charming and quite a novelty, and it is one reason to brave the horrible winters here and keep a garden, as it is almost impossible to grow in areas much warmer than this. So far I've found it likes a gritty soil in the shade, with ample moisture.

oh wow!! so cute! :D

I've always wanted to grow one of these and x alaskanum, but I'm not sure if they'll like the coastal weather :sob:

Cute one!:clap:
you have a super small plant. I remember the herbarium sheet at the UofA had taller stems and possibly larger blooms.
I found my photos of the sheet collected in 1987, but I didn't put a ruler.

Wow! 4" tall?! I've seen those in the wild before, but they were never that small! Did you get this from Garden Slippers?

I'm quite sure that this plant is only 4" tall because it is young. It will likely increase in size in future years. However, I doubt the flower will get too much bigger, maybe a little.

Latest posts

Back