Cyp parviflorum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flowers are all faded now and I have a pod on one bloom!

Anyways I noticed that it is getting some sun midday sun too....I am thinking it could be a problem in July
I think the leaves are have a faded colour now. Maybe I will divide one of my short blue ornamental grasses and plant it in front of and around the plant...I hope that is good enough.

Also there is a daylily and iris growing in that area in bud, maybe it is too sunny?...

I got a Cypripedium Alaskanum and I moved it to a more shaded area, I read they don't handle the light as well and they need to be cool

Hey Fren,
I have found that Cyp parviflorum will burn (both leaves and flowers) when subjected to our hot summer sun. Planting a grass in front will work though; I've seen these growing in the wild in full sun but shaded by grasses, and I grow some that way. Generally in more light, they grow shorter and make smaller flowers but clump better. One last word - if you want, it can be a good idea to remove seed pods before they mature (ie the flower's ovary right after it fades) on small clumps as the conserved energy will allow more flowering stems to develop, faster. Just a thought.

Joe

Thanks I will remove my seed pod then.

I thought about moving the plant to a new place and I acutally pulled the pot up, but then I decided not to dig another large hole to sink the pot in. Maybe I can get a second parviflorum in a more shaded area for taller stems since the prices are reasonable and I have the space.

I just planted a discount miniature bleeding heart bulb next to it for more dappled shade. I don't think the blue grass is tall enough but I moved a clump in front of it. I can move some of that grassy iris next to it, or move some iceland poppies or a old pink daisy which is stuggling in full sun there. I have to think since I don't want the companion plant to become more showier than the parviflorum in bloom...

Well at first, parviflorum isn't the showiest garden plant in the world (regardless of the variety) because even pubescens' flowers aren't that big compared to a bearded iris or something (although on fully mature plants they can get quite large). But, when they form bigger clumps, they really turn heads! I think they look best when planted with garden plants though. The thing is, you dont want the plant to be overcrowded, so don't use invasive companions. I think the bleeding heart, as long as it is a fernleaf type, is a good choice, as are icelandic poppies. Daisies might spread a little but you could always control it... One more thing: buy as many parviflorums as you can! They look great in the yard, and they are so variable you get something different every time. Experiment with them in different situations. If you can find var. parviflorum or var. makasin, planting them with pubescens looks really cool.

Joe

She came up again this year :). I have three blooms and five stems. The cloudy weather was perfect to take some snapshots, otherwise there is too much glare on the pouches. Also they are freshly opened so maybe the dorals will go up a little?
DSCN0165.jpg

And I did this painting based on last year's bloom.
DSCN0122-1.jpg

Back