Cyp parviflorum var. pubescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score

Blooming in my coldframe last week. Unfortunately the flowers were killed during a cold night shortly after this was taken, but the plant is fine. I've been growing this in a pot for the past year and had it inside breaking dormancy. When the weather outside improved, I put it in the coldframe, but did not forsee that one cold night!

Joe

Nice. What size pot and what media?

This plant is growing in a 1 gallon pot. The soil mix is something like this: 2 parts aquatic plant medium, 1 part peat, 1 part compost, 1 part perlite, 1 part grit, 1/2 part sand. Then I top-dress with grit to keep the shoot bases from rotting.

Joe

This plant is growing in a 1 gallon pot. The soil mix is something like this: 2 parts aquatic plant medium, 1 part peat, 1 part compost, 1 part perlite, 1 part grit, 1/2 part sand. Then I top-dress with grit to keep the shoot bases from rotting.

Joe

Joe,

Do you know what the make-up of aquatic plant medium is? Afraid I don't keep any aquatic plants and I'm not famiilar with this product.

Thanks.

charlie c

Joe,

Do you know what the make-up of aquatic plant medium is? Afraid I don't keep any aquatic plants and I'm not famiilar with this product.

Thanks.

charlie c

I believe that the aquatic plant medium is basically crushed clay pellets. There is another product in the US called Turface which is used in baseball diamonds for the bases (a red gravel-like material) which I think is much the same thing. There is also a product in Europe called Seramis (not sure where else it can be found) that is very similar. I like this material because it adds a mesic quality to the mix, so that the mix drains well but does not dry out too rapidly.

Joe

I believe that the aquatic plant medium is basically crushed clay pellets. There is another product in the US called Turface which is used in baseball diamonds for the bases (a red gravel-like material) which I think is much the same thing. There is also a product in Europe called Seramis (not sure where else it can be found) that is very similar. I like this material because it adds a mesic quality to the mix, so that the mix drains well but does not dry out too rapidly.

Joe

Thanks Joe. That's a great explanation, I got the picture now.

charlie c

I believe that the aquatic plant medium is basically crushed clay pellets. There is another product in the US called Turface which is used in baseball diamonds for the bases (a red gravel-like material) which I think is much the same thing. There is also a product in Europe called Seramis (not sure where else it can be found) that is very similar. I like this material because it adds a mesic quality to the mix, so that the mix drains well but does not dry out too rapidly.Joe

Bonsai enthusiasts use a product called Terragren(sp), which we've used onb our potted pond plants as well.

Back