cyp parvi var pubescens + others from labrador hollow

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
some more ladyslippers plus a few other non-slipper native orchids from
labrador hollow state unique area, ny state central ny. I had found only one
clump with maybe a dozen plants in the area near the heartleaf twayblades
and early coralroots, but met up with orchid club member karl frost who
lives around the corner; he said there were 'more' further out from the first
spot, so had to investigate. turns out there were nearly a thousand flowers
all told spread out and in large clumps in that general area maybe within a
100 plus yard radius. my nose was too stuffed to tell what the fragrance
may have been

lhyls1.JPG

these two clumps were the furthest out; front group had 35 open flowers and the back one had 30. flowers were just packed together!

lhyls2.JPG

I think the plant over the top is sheep or bog laurel or something like that

lhyls3.JPG

a few of the clusters had old seed pods still showing on the ends of old stems

lhyls4.JPG

lhyls5.JPG

a typical view showing layers of flowers visible through the brush

lhyls6.JPG

one of the lightest clumps of flowers, had barely a little red pigment on the ends of some of the sepals

lhyls7.JPG

just six feet away from one of the clumps with the lightest flowers was this flower with the darkest pigment and the twistiest sepals

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

also some heartleaf twayblade from labrador hollow. they aren't as large here as I've seen up at ferd's bog inlet ny but they are very numerous and both red and green 'forms'. these will start popping out beginning of may no matter how cold it is, unless obviously it is below freezing and there is still snow there. but if no snow then they seem oblivious to the temperature

hltb1.JPG

hltb2.JPG

hltb3.JPG

one was growing right up against a paperbark birch

hltb4.JPG

hltb5.JPG

hltb6.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and finally some early coral root at labrador hollow. the numbers of these go up and down dramatically depending on the water table

lhecr1.JPG

lhecr2.JPG

the bogs and fens in central ny have some very interesting plants. I can't keep track of them all very well, I used to cross my eyes when others would use latin names to talk about the plants, but with time it gets sort of easier...
I have a canon 30d; the exposure meter is messed up so that it over-exposes just about everything about two stops. It may actually help my photography as I often have to set everything to manual and find which exposure and aperture is the best for the picture; it doesn't 'allow' too much just letting the camera figure it out and just snap away... It is nice to have the digital when it comes to just putting an image on my computer, but it has it's own problems in comparison to using film

I tell people who look at my pictures that it is much easier to make images of something that looks really nice to start with (smile)

thanks, and you're welcome! I like being able to make available pictures of plants that most people would never get to see.
I think the orchids I like the most are the ones I can leave out in the woods and never have to water or spray for mealybugs ;)

thanks, and you're welcome! I like being able to make available pictures of plants that most people would never get to see.
I think the orchids I like the most are the ones I can leave out in the woods and never have to water or spray for mealybugs ;)

Boy! You got that right Charles. Leave them be.

Rick H

What sort of camera are you using?

The Kalmia (laurel) is lovely too! Yes, I'm still working on my Latin. :D

While common names like "laurel" do often correspond with the genus Kalmia, it is not the case with this plant. This is more likely Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum) as in Labrador Hollow (actually Labrador, Canada). Good work though, Heather! Keep it up. Is the Kalmia blooming at GITW?

Thanks for the photos, Charles. Looks like it's time to hit my favorite orchid haunts here in central VT.

Latest posts

Back