cyp parvi var pubescens from remsen bog

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
wanted to post these pictures of standard yellow ladyslippers from remsen bog near utica, ny. I had thought earlier that there would be few flowers this year, but when I returned I saw if I remember right over 20 plants! This is much higher than the four which I saw a few years ago. They grow in a completely different area than the showy ladyslipper, bog candles, loesel's twayblades, grass pinks and the one pink ladyslipper mostly white that shows up once in a while; there are some tiny rose pogonias that do grow near the yellows

rbyls1.JPG

rbyls2.JPG

rbyls3.JPG

rbyls4.JPG

rbyls5.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------
the lower sepals really stand straight out from the flowers more than some populations i've seen. this spot is a bit more up north and up in elevation than other ny spots and the flowers are usually a bit more compact. some of that has to do also with how calcareous the spot a particular clump is growing from and the available light

my eyebrows raised when I read somewhere that often yellow ladyslippers grew in fairly dry places because I've usually only seen them in quite moist spots. these plants were in a constantly damp spot through moss, but not up on a moss hummock. there was one pink ladyslipper growing close by, but it is up through moss up over hemlock roots, so isn't wet like the yellow and showy ladyslippers. showy ladyslippers nearby almost always are growing right out of the black muck only slightly covered by any vegetation if any at all

Back