Cyp. formosanum pot culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goods

Reaction score
I've always wanted to try Cyps, but my hot summers and rarely cold winters make that a difficult task here. Everything I've read says Cyp. formosanum is more adaptable to warmer temps if certain precautions are taken. I'd like to give it a try, but I'd like to hear experiences/suggestions on culture, especially from people who have grown them potted (type of media is a big question for me).

Thanks!

Since no one is rushing in to answer your question... Louisiana may be a bit warm even for this species, but since C. kentuckiense lives naturally there you may have a shot.

I've tried them in pots here in southern Japan, another warm climate, with mixed results. I think a large pot is a good idea, situated in a completely sunless location. That will keep it cool. I'd use a big clay azalea type pot to aid in evaporation. As for the compost - something very airy like large perlite, chunks of coir, etc, but also perfectly draining. You can use fine bark as well, though you'll have to repot frequently.

Of course you'll need to feed it quite a bit with that kind of compost. Don't be shy, these guys can take more fertilizer than most Cyps.

Honestly I've done much better with this species in the ground here. The ones in pots always just sat there after a while. The truth is it is tough to grow Cyps in warm climates, but if you're going to try one, this species is a very good choice. Good luck!

Back