Cyp, Aeranthes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I posted any art here, not that I haven't been making it.

The Cypripedium lives at the local botanical garden amongst oak leaf litter, and the Aeranthes was a plant I admired at the Illinois Orchid Society Spring show last year:

Robin Street-Morris. Cypripedium kentuckiense. 2009.
Watercolor and pastel on 300Ib hot press paper. 11" x 16" (27.94 x 40.64cm).

kentuckienseII.jpg

Robin Street-Morris. Luna III (Aeranthes). 2009.
Watercolor and pastel on 300Ib hot press paper. 10 1/2" x 13 1/2" (26.67 x 34.29cm).

luna%20III.jpg

Really lovely Robin, especially the C. kentuckiense. I especially like the angle you chose. Do you make your paintings from live material or photos?

Both. It just depends--plus, actual references are only the beginning for me anyway. I took about 40 digital shots of the cyp last spring and it took me months to get to it, just a handful of the Aeranthes though. I rarely use just one reference for a piece unless it's all a patron provides and I can't find supplementary images. Also, when I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of things in bloom here of my own, photos come in handy because I can't get to them all in time before they fade (that's an understatement)--plus, orchids are just one facet of my work.

I feel a little silly sharing this because I don't think I have a ton of "fans" on the forum who would be able to make it, but a couple of my landscapes were just juried into an exhibition taking place this spring near Geneva, Switzerland titled "Landscapes/Dreamscapes"--if you do live in the area or are part of the jet set crowd and love art :D, please email or pm me for details...it's near the lake, mountains--drool! I will be here in lovely St. Louis painting during the vernissage--I'm terrible at such events anyway.

Yes, congrats Robin, lake of Geneva region is a pretty place (used to go there regul., but this was some years ago :eek: )!!! Jean

I hope you sold lots!

Yeah, I wish! Actually, my art isn't even there yet, and there are only nine artists with no more than two works each. It's more about exposure and promotion really. I've been represented here or there for over ten years, but my best and most rewarding sales have been through my web site.

But thanks, guys! I need encouragement (who doesn't?). :)

Back