Cyp. acuale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suss16

Reaction score
After a couple of years I finally got these guys to bloom. Maybe next year the stems will be a little longer. They are all three growths now. More cyps. next week.

cypsacaule003.jpg

cypsacaule002.jpg

I'm out in Cutchogue right now....my acaules are coming up, about 2" high.....same size as my other cyps in NYC....I'd say its about 3-4 weeks before they bloom....They are always in bloom around Memorial day, while my pubescens in the city bloom in mid-May.....Take care, Eric

I did leave the pots out all winter in a corner made by my fence. I planted them in a mix of peat moss and sand. Although my sprinkler system water (well) is not too bad 110 ppm and slightly below 7.0 ph - I put them in a shady spot (very little morning sun) and whatever rained on them was what irrigated them. I do have R/O if necessary. If you look in the background you can see my cyp cal that has been "potted" in the ground for 4 years now. I just repotted it last year and this year I have 4 growths and should have three blooms. I will post a pic later this week. I have another set of cyp cal planted directly in the ground in another part of my yard. They are 3 weeks behind the potted one and looks like 4 growths. I dug a trench 2 feet deep for that set and used the same soil mix as the potted ones.

BTW - I am in Norfolk, VA

suss16 said:
I did leave the pots out all winter in a corner made by my fence. I planted them in a mix of peat moss and sand. Although my sprinkler system water (well) is not too bad 110 ppm and slightly below 7.0 ph - I put them in a shady spot (very little morning sun) and whatever rained on them was what irrigated them. I do have R/O if necessary. If you look in the background you can see my cyp cal that has been "potted" in the ground for 4 years now. I just repotted it last year and this year I have 4 growths and should have three blooms. I will post a pic later this week. I have another set of cyp cal planted directly in the ground in another part of my yard. They are 3 weeks behind the potted one and looks like 4 growths. I dug a trench 2 feet deep for that set and used the same soil mix as the potted ones.

BTW - I am in Norfolk, VA

Very nicely done!

Ron

Latest posts

Back