Cynorkis angustipetala

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
The nomenclature of this species is very confusing (well, it is not as bad as the case of Phragmipedium humboldtii), and Johan Hermans and his collaborators have been working hard to straighten up the confusion. It was quite a bit of reading adventure to find out what the correct name of this species is, so I decided to put it down as a blog post (link to the post in my Orchid Borealis blog), even though I don't take any credit of growing this species. I just got a giant tuber from Louisiana Orchid Connection, who imported it from Madagascar in Spring 2016, and it just made the magnificent flowers.

These name changes from 2014 were already mentioned in another forum (Orchid Board), but it didn't have much details, so I had to confirm it by myself. Basically, this is the species which used to be called Cynorkis guttata (and C. uncinata before that). What we used to call Cynorkis angustipetala is actually C. speciosa. Real C. uncinata is C. calanthoides. For the detials, see the blog which has much more photos (better yet, read the papers by Hermans et al!). If you want to see their originals, let me know.

Cynorkis angustipetala, raceme on Flickr

Cynorkis angustipetala on Flickr

Cynorkis angustipetala, whole plant on Flickr

Just for camera geeks. With this set of photos, I used Olympus E-M1 in-camera focus stacking. But this is the first time I tried cheap continuous light sources. I usually use wireless remote manual flashes with whatever cheap speed lights. But focus stacking is quicker with continuous light. Also, you can see the effects of light, so it is much much easier to fine tune. I got 2x Hyperikon dimmable PAR38 LED spot bulbs, 14W, 1260lm, 5000K, CRI 90+, 40° beam angle from Amazon (this one with this dimmer). One through white shoot-throgh umbrella from left, and the other direct from right as a fill. Low CRI LEDs don't make nice green color in general (and you can't quite correct with post-processing), but I'm pretty satisfied with this higher CRI LED bulbs. I didn't use RAW, and shot with JPEG as usual, and auto white balance did most of the work. Not too bad, isn't it? There are better high CRI LEDs, but Hyperikon is much cheaper. So these make a very workable multi-light setup for cheap (at least for small static objects like plants). The shutter speed becomes slow, so you do need a tripod.

Last edited:
OZ, with macro, it is difficult to get all parts focused well as you know. Even with small aperture (I start to notice degradation in sharpness due to diffraction above f11), the depth-of-field isn't usually deep enough. With focus stacking, you can take multiple photos with slight shifted focusing points; e.g. focus closer object at first, then focus a little further away etc. Then combine the sharp regions of multiple images to make an overall sharp image.

Here is a nice tutorial (and this site has lots of great articles about macro photography):
http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/

This can be done in some software without special equipments. But with several Olympus cameras (and now Panasonic, too), the camera can automatically do this. Olympus has been always putting an emphasis on macro photography since the time of film photos, so I can see why they are the first maker to do this (in cameras which can change lenses). So I just push the shutter button, the camera takes 8 images by moving around the focus, and combine them into an image in the camera. Here is an explanation for Olympus in-camera focus stacking:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...-focus-stacking-is-here-via-new-firmware-v4.0

It can be used for interesting effects; in addition to the aperture, we have an additional control of focusing intervals to control the depth of field and background blur.

I kind of like the Olympus JPEG engine, and I'm happy with it most of the time. I try to get photos shot well when I shoot, and minimize the post-processing. Storage could be cheap, but I'm OK with smaller JPEG, and leave RAW only for the time when I really need it. To be honest, I sometime screw up, and regret not using RAW, though! Also, in-camera focus-stacking produces JPEG. It can do focus bracketing in RAW, and combine them in post-processing, but it is too much trouble for me...

I was just going to say that Dot. Love that close-up. I can
see the complexities of the flower. From a little distance, the flower looks so simple and it's not. Beautiful work Naoki and a lovely plant.

This is amazing! So how do you grow this thing?

Mark, I actually don't know its culture yet. I got it in May as a giant tuber, put it in the soil in June. I kept it mostly dry (water once every 1-2 weeks), and I noticed leaf started to grow in late August. Then I started to water regularly (never dry out, maybe once every 4-5 days). It quickly grew and flowered by itself (all due to the good condition of the tuber). So I'll need to figure out the culture. It is supposed to be the easy Cynorkis, though. I'm keeping it intermediate (around 75/64F max/min) for now with Paph level light. The media medium perlite:feather moss from backyard:Espoma Organic Cactus Mix for Cactus, Palm & Citrus:small mulch bark:Carquest UltraSorb 100% Diatomaceous Earth:Coconut Peat=6:2:2:1:1:1. Overly complicated, but it is basically half medium perlite and half soil-like things to keep it moist. Bunch of corrugated cardboard pieces are inserted.

As a side note, this is a summer growing, winter dormant species, but since it is still in S. hemisphere time, it is growing in the wrong time of the year. My C. baronii? (the one I posted in this thread) is in its 2nd year in the transition from south to north, but it hasn't adjusted to the northern season yet, so I found 2 tubers just started to grow in the wrong time. I'm just letting them do whatever they do, and adjusting watering.

That is a very cool little orchid! I always enjoy your threads, naoki. You always give so much useful info!

Completely amazing. Fantastic photography.

Thanks for letting me know about LOC, naoki. I just placed an order with them yesterday.

That is a very cool little orchid! I always enjoy your threads, naoki. You always give so much useful info!

Thank you, Hamlet. Learning new things is fun, and I frequently forget about what I learned if I don't write it down on a post immediately (and it happen to be a good way to share knowledge)!

Thanks for letting me know about LOC, naoki. I just placed an order with them yesterday.

That's great! As Ted said, they are great to deal with.

Latest posts

Back