Cymbidium tracyanum spike development

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweaver24

Reaction score
This is, admittedly, something of a boring picture. But considering that I carelessly broke the developing spike off last year when moving the plant around, I'm pleased that my Cymbidium tracyanum has forgiven me (or so I'd like to think) and is currently producing a robust spike. It appears to have stopped growing vertically and is now beginning to arch over nicely. The spike was produced a little late this year, but hopefully some of the buds should be open by Christmas--assuming I can keep my natural inclination to clumsiness in check for just a little while longer.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_5247B.jpg
    IMG_5247B.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
No... when your dog decides to chew off 3 of the spikes! (At least there was one spike the dog didn't get to.)

That's all I needed to know. Part of my dog's daily routine is to lick the sugar deposits off the cymbidium buds. Just in case that's a prelude to chewing off a spike, the plant is now coming off the floor and going onto a bench.

That's all I needed to know. Part of my dog's daily routine is to lick the sugar deposits off the cymbidium buds. Just in case that's a prelude to chewing off a spike, the plant is now coming off the floor and going onto a bench.

I didn't think of the sugar. I thought the spike was more stick-like, but the sugar idea makes a lot of sense.

Flowers!

All but one of the buds have now opened. The fragrance is good, although not extravagant, and reminds me of some sort of fruit (peaches?). Although this species probably isn't overly fond of our hot and humid summers, it's proven to be quite adaptable. The lip is covered in these nifty fiber-optic looking hairs; hard to see from a distance, but kind of cool up close.

Attachments

• IMG_5349.jpg
    IMG_5349.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5360BBBBB.jpg
    IMG_5360BBBBB.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back