Cymbidium goeringii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Japanese vendors: 95% what he grows are Cymbidiusm. Mostly C. goeringii (shunran) Chinese, Japanese and Korean varieties,, C. goeringii subspecies such as C. formosanum, C. longibracteasum....etc, C. kanran (kanran), and C. faberi. He has C. qiubeiense too. No, he doesn't ship overseas unfortunatey.

My Japanese vendors: 95% what he grows are Cymbidiusm. Mostly C. goeringii (shunran) Chinese, Japanese and Korean varieties,, C. goeringii subspecies such as C. formosanum, C. longibracteasum....etc, C. kanran (kanran), and C. faberi. He has C. qiubeiense too. No, he doesn't ship overseas unfortunatey.
Thanks for sharing the info! Is 蘭万園 your vendor? I really like their instangram account.
I understand most of the Japanese vendors do not ship overseas. I'm just wondering if they can provide CITES, which seems to be a little bit complicated to get myself. I'm thinking about flying there and bring some when COVID is over. Looks like phytosanitary certificates is easier to get at the airport.

He doesn't ship overseas. They will not provide any documents to ship overseas, pretty much 99% of the Japanese vendors sell domestically because there is a market for Asian Cymbidiums. For all these Japanese vendors, I communicate with them in Japanese, if you try to communicate with them in English, you will pretty much be ignored (it has a very different business culture, ie the Japanese method). To answer your questions about CITIES, in order to get CITIES, the greenhouses has to be inspected. It requires a lot of work on their side to get the inspection for a little order by you (no offense, but compared to the earning they are going to get domestically, it doesn't make sense for them). My budget is $1000USD every time I purchase, and that usually get me 2-3 blooming size C. goeringii which is nothing for them. Lastly, in the Western Countries, 99% of the people don't even know what they are, there is very little market in the Western countries for Asian Cymbidiums. Even if you can get them, 99% of people cannot keep them alive.

Last edited:
answer your questions about
He doesn't ship overseas. They will not provide any documents to ship overseas, pretty much 99% of the Japanese vendors sell domestically because there is a market for Asian Cymbidiums. For all these Japanese vendors, I communicate with them in Japanese, if you try to communicate with them in English, you will pretty much be ignored (it has a very different business culture, ie the Japanese method). To answer your questions about CITIES, in order to get CITIES, the greenhouses has to be inspected. It requires a lot of work on their side to get the inspection for a little order by you (no offense, but compared to the earning they are going to get domestically, it doesn't make sense for them). My budget is $1000USD every time I purchase, and that usually get me 2-3 blooming size C. goeringii which is nothing for them. Lastly, in the Western Countries, 99% of the people don't even know what they are, there is very little market in the Western countries for Asian Cymbidiums. Even if you can get them, 99% of people cannot keep them alive.
Well this is disappointing. But thank you very much!

Can I take advantage of your expertise for a classification question :)?
I have had a Cymbidium purchased as a goeringii for 15 years, but I have some doubts about the classification. It is vigorous, produces lanceolate leaves of about 50cm, dark green, and produces in December January a floral spike with 3 - 5 green flowers with red stripes on the lip (see photo). It does not seem to me to correspond with the 'classic' description, with normally single flower and more or less rounded petals; I recently bought two more goeringii, named 'Chinese Oi Lin' (not flowered yet) and 'New Moon', which bloomed in December last year with single, white flowers .... and both are much more compact than my first plant! Searching the net, I assumed it might be Cym. cyperifolium ...
Any suggestions?
IMG_20191230_145633.jpg

seveclaudioe
The average leaf length of a C. goeringii is between 25cm-35cm. There are C. goeringii with small short leaves (< 3.5cm) and there are also C. goeringii with leave length more than 35 cm. A true C. goeringii subsp. goeringii can only have 1 flower per stem. Other C goeringii subspecies including C. goeringii subsp. formosanum, C. goeringii subsp. longibracteatum, and C. goeringii subsp. gracillimum can have more than 1 flower per stem. There are other ways to identify a C. goeringii by looking at the leaves. The leaves should have a serrated leaf edge, also there is a clear line/marking between the leaf and the mature pseudobulb. C. goeringii (when grown properly, bloom from mid Feb to mid April). One very unique characteristic of C. goeringii is that it must go through vernalization (it requires an extended period of a very cold temperature close to freezing (0C) in the winter time to bloom properly, if you don't know what vernalization means, please check on wikipedia). Without vernalization, the flower buds will blast. It should not bloom in December or January, it is too early. By your description, it is most likely the "Fall/winter orchids" (classified by Chinese) such as Cymbidium cyperifolium.

Latest posts

Back