Cymbidium goeringii 'Tian Cao'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
My lazy watering blasted all but one bud over the summer, and the lone survivor is open now.
It would have been amazing with all 7 flowers open. oh, well.
next year.

The flower is strongly scented, but can't describe it. It is neither good nor bad. Ok, slightly good.

Tiancao_zpsfzrmo0i6.jpg

Where did you find this lovely plant? I emailed an ebay
grower and he/she was very terse and wouldn't give me
any information as to the color of the ensifoliums offered.
I'd appreciate any leads you can give me.

Looks like it has white edges on the leaves. Can you post a photo of the foliage, thanks.

How many more leaves do you want to see, Eric?
There are plenty in this photo! hahaha

Well, the cream colored variegation appears near the tip along with the edge. That is typical of Tain Cao.
Also, any goeringii with this variegation will also have variegated flowers.

There are a whole bunch of terms describing subtle differences in color and pattern and shape of the leaves and flowers in these cymbidiums, but I have no idea if they even exit in English. Here these are no where as popular as they are in the Far East.

Where did you find this lovely plant? I emailed an ebay
grower and he/she was very terse and wouldn't give me
any information as to the color of the ensifoliums offered.
I'd appreciate any leads you can give me.

I bought this from Ten Shin Gardens at a show last year.
They come from Taiwan and usually bring a lot of these Far East cymbidiums for great price.

These are highly sought after in the Far East and quite expensive. Some are beyond believe how expensive they get.

Check the website of Ten Shin Gardens. There are many pictures of different cymbidiums, goeringii, sinense, ensifolium...
They have more than what it shows on the website. so if you have a specific name, you can ask them. but what they list on their website is quite extensive for many people here I believe.

How is the Cymbidium goeringii TianCao (Amakusa)?

Cymbidium goeringii in Chinese/Japanese is the Spring Orchid. In the normal biological cycle of a Cymbidium goeringii, the buds are induced/set in the middle of the summer. By early Sept to the end of October, you should be able to see the flower buds peaking out from the top of the pot (about 3-5cm). Then, the flower buds go into dormancy until Winter Solstice. After Winter Solstice, the plants are grown in an ultra low temperature, between 0C-14C (30F-50F) for a period of time (basically just above freezing) so the flower buds will develop properly. The instructions in both Chinese and Japanese books indicate that when you see buds in the summer, you should get rid off the flower buds because the off-season flowers actually weaken the orchids. Here are a couple pictures of Japanese Cymbidium goeringii in my personal collection.

FYI: Tenshin usually bring 2nd/3rd tier varieties that are not collectable to me. As a Chinese, I will never consider any of the varieties he brings. For Chinese Cymbidium goeringii, there are 8 traditional varieties discovered from the Shanghai and Zhejiang Province that are truly classics have withstand time for 200-300 years and are appreciated generation after generation.

I did some research on Cymbidium goeringii 天草 TianCao (Amakusa) that is quite popular in Europe and North America. The Chinese reading for 天草 is TianCao, and the Japanese reading for 天草 is Amakusa. First, this is a Japanese Cymbidium goeringii, from the City of Amakusa. I cannot find information/description of this clone anywhere in any of my Japanese Cymbidium goeringii books, so I suspect that it is just named after the city of Amakusa, implying that there is nothing too outstanding about this clone. There is another Japanese clone called Amakusa-Nisshin (天草日進), both clones look very similar both in flower and the leaves. However, Amakusa-Nisshin is bigger (longer leaf length) and taller flower stem, and has a much bigger flower. When I visited a Japanese Cymbidium goeringii nursery in Japan, compared both clones side by side and Amakusa-Nishhin is far more superior clone than Amakusa. Amakusa-Nisshin is a more majestic clone than Amakusa in my opinion.

Attachments

• Fuji no yuubae 富士の夕映  flower 2 .jpeg
    Fuji no yuubae 富士の夕映 flower 2 .jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Haruka 春華 flower 2.jpeg
    Haruka 春華 flower 2.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
I gave it away long ago.
Yes, this is about the most common varieties offered in the trade it seems. The fact that it is so common and so cheap means it is not for the cymbidium goeringii collectors. It is a great for a beginner as a practice piece I'd say.
It has its charm, but as you say, there are MANY fine varieties of this species out there. And of course, with anything collectable, it's a rich man's game if you want the best. I'd love a fine yellow flowered variety of the species but I wouldn't pay quarter million dollars for plants of any kind. ;)

Last edited:
In Japan, retail price for blooming size C. goeringii (6-10 growths), I would call them traditional classic varieties (all the classic red, orange, yellow varieties), nothing fancy, would cost you anywhere from $250-$500 USD for the plant. That is just how much they cost. I have seen plenty of $30-$50 USD C. goeringii in Tokyo Dome show but they are medium seedings (will take 2-3 years to bloom). Those are cheap, but I don't get those.

Below is a new Korean variety called En-kou-zetsu (円紅舌). This variety has all the desirable trait you want in a C. goeringii (current trend). It has round petals, splashy colour (like a waterpainting), and a very dark purple lip. Lastly, it has Chabo leaf (thich waxy, short leaf 10-15cm max). A 3 growth noplants was in this year's special display and it was estimated at $110,000 USD!!!

Attachments

• 円紅舌.jpg
    円紅舌.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 18
“Traditional” cymbidiums are mericloned. Can these be mass produced as well?
I'm not sure, but I would say yes. but those rare varieties with odd variegations or other rare mutations may not come out true when mericloned kind of like Neofinetia falcata. Also, even if it is possible to mericlone them, I don't think it would be done. The collectors and the close net association/societies in Japan and South Korea won't allow that to happen. It's their privilege. Trust me. haha

Amazing! And what the price pertains: chocking! o_O
If you go sit in one of the auctions in Japan or South Korea, you would pass out at how much money is being poured on these plants! hahaha
but then again, it is how life is. Not everyone can drive Aston Martin or carry crocodile Hermes Burkin bag. ;)

In the old days (1960s), it is not possible to mericlone Asian Cymbidiums, so the only way to propagate them is by division. Then, the mericlone and flasking technology comes to light, then there is a market crash for Asian Cymbidiums. This is especially the case for C. ensifolium and C. sinense in Taiwan. C. ensifolium and C. sinese are dirt cheap in Taiwan, you can get a blooming size multiple growth for $15USD (retail price, whole sale is cheaper). Now for C. goeringii, doesn't matter where you purchase them, it is pricy for whatever reason compared with C. ensifolium and C. sinense (for blooming size only, min 6-7 growths. I don't buy medium seedling, takes too long to grow and often have weak root system). Even for C. goeringii that are from flasking, it can still be in the hundreds of dollars if you want a blooming size plant. Having said that, yes, the C. goeringii variety that are produced from flasking will have very similar characeteristics as the original plant but it is still not the same (some have huge differences, some have minute difference). For example, Chinese C. goeringii 宋梅 Songmei (Ch reading)/Soubai (Jp reading), one of my favourite Chinese C. goeringii with round petals (plum petals), 99% of the ones you see one the market is from flasking. I have seen some plants from flasking, the leaf width is too wide. Another example is Chinese C. goeringii 緑雲 Lu-yun (Ch reading)/Ryoku-un (Jp reading), with short wide leaf with 6 plus flower petals. It is the Queen of Chinese C. goeingii and it is notorious in been difficult in cultivation. This variety was flasked by the Koreans so 99% of the plant you see on the market is again from flasks. The real C. goeringii 緑雲 Lu-yun (Ch reading)/Ryoku-un (Jp reading) is passed down in the family who discovered it. it is a passed down as a family heirloom and it is not for sale. The advantage of the plants from flasking is that most of them will be easier to grow in the cultivation and the price is in the range for hobbyists (still going to run a few hundred dollars for blooming size plants).
5811c60cd27c0.jpg

宋梅 Chinese C. goeringii Songmei (Ch reading)/Soubai (Jp reading)

j468557024.1.jpg

Chinese C. goeringii 緑雲 (Ch reading lu-yun)/(Jp reading ryoku-un)

BrucherT: C. karan can be grown using the same Japanese pumice (東洋蘭土). Very similar set up, once the surface of the potting mix is dry, water. The buds like C. goeringii are induced at the end of July and early August. For varieties that buds later in the fall, the daynight temp difference of 10-15C will help. To get the bright flower colour, during flower stem elongation, make sure that the temp is low. If the temp is too high, then the colour will not be nice. C. kanran blooms in December-January in Japan, so once you see the flower buds poking out in the fall, you only need to wait for 2-3 months before it blooms. C. kanran is easiser than C. goeringii because it doesn't require a vernalization period to bloom (vernalization is the agricultural term for low low temp treatment for flower bud development). For C. karan, it means winter orchid because it blooms in winter, not because it grows cold. If you follow C. goeringii culture, you will be able to grow and bloom C. karan.

Latest posts

Back