Cymbidium goeringii-Mid Oct 2021 buds check.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Cymbidium goeringii-Mid Oct 2021 buds check. The daily temperature (high/low) in Toronto is between 4C-15C......about 2 week time, it's time to bring Cymbidium goeringii indoor for the winter. I will start vernalization in mid Dec (0C-10C) until the flowers bloom. Since the buds emerged in early August, all the buds are alive so far and have grown to the appropriate size. Now just have to wait for them to bloom in Spring 2022 (March/April).

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 22
you are very patient
This is how long it takes for the flower buds to develop and bloom, about 9 month (from budding to blooming). Flower buds will only emerge from a mature growth (growth that is 2 + years old). This species tests your patience and is very detail orientated (everything has to be done certain way and do it meticulously). The buds can abort/blast if the conditions are not met during the 9 months. That is why you don't see it often outside of Asia.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see how tall they grow under such a low temperature.
It was a long ago that I had these as a kid, but I remember the inflorescence show up in late summer and stay quite low on the plant barely poking above the potting mix until the early spring when they suddenly rise and bloom.

yes, C. goeringii buds at the end of the summer/early fall (hot and humid summer) and the buds grow to about 3cm-5cm and then stops. It needs the winter (near freezing temp) to bloom. The flower stalk only elongate a month before blooming in the spring. So for more than 6 months of the year, the buds sit low on the plant and you have to make sure that the buds meet the changing requirements during the 6 months so they dont blast.

The buds are covered and the covering is only removed 2 weeks before blooming. It's the combination of the darkness (covering) and the high humidity (50-70%) that make the stalks tall (white tall stalks).

Latest posts

Back