Cymbidium goeringii "Mangetsu" 日本春蘭「満月」-plucking flower buds.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

jokerpass

Reaction score
This C. goeringii variety is very floriforous, produced 8 flowers April 2021 and 3 flowers April 2020. This year, produced 4 flower buds. To save energy, as recommended by my Japanese Cymbidium vendor, I decided to pluck all 4 flower buds, so there will be more new vigorous new growths next year. Last picture is the flower picture. Because I decided not to flower them this season, I did not shade the buds, so the buds are green (supposed to be white when you shade the buds) and the flower sheath has a tough texture (flower sheath has a soft texture when you shade). It is still a bit early but almost all C. goeringii in the collection has buds again this year, The coloured varieites I decided to keep the buds are shaded since mid August.

Attachments

jokerpass

Reaction score
I only grow Cymbidium goeringii because it is probably the most challenging to grow and bloom. I only grow C. goeringii because it is the smallest (size wise). Also, C. goeringii appears to be the most mysterious one to the Western world. My Taiwanese East Asian Cymbidium vendor told me that if you follow C. goeringii culture and can grow and bloom successfully, you will be able to grow and bloom any east asian cymbidiums you want. To grow other East Asian Cymbidiums including C. ensifolium, C. sinense, C. kanran, and C. faberii, the general cultural points (potting mix, light, temp (except winter), watering schedule and techniques, and humidity) are the same. The only major difference between C. goeringii and C. ensfolium is the temperature requirement. C. ensifolium requires high intermediate to low warm temp range in spring and fall (20C-25C), warm to hot temp range in the summer (25C-30C), and in the winter time intermediate range (15C-20C). Everything else (watering technique, potting mix, lighting, and humidity) are all the same. It is the easiest East Asian Cymbidiums to grow and bloom. I bloomed C. ensifolium many many years ago when I was a beginner orchid grower like more than 15 years old. Without knowing the proper techniques and conditions, I bloomed it every year. I got rid of it one year at the local orchid show because it was way too big (10 inch pot).

Last edited:

Latest posts