Cymbidium goeringii "Kourin" (Japanese) 日本春蘭「光琳」

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Cymbidium goeringii "Kourin" (Japanese) 日本春蘭「光琳」: Stage 1 shading is completed with a white flower bud. Now, it's time to continue shading the bud with an aluminium foil, remove the foil 2 weeks before it blooms next spring (spring 2022). The bud must go through vernalization (0C-10C at at all times) in the winter in order to bloom. The flower bud will stay this size (3cm-5cm) just 1 month before it blooms. This plant was received damaged with only 3 leaves 3 years ago. It started to bloom last year, this is the 2nd year in a row that it produced a bud. When following the Japanese C. goeringii culture methods, it grows strong roots and can bloom every year. Last picture was the bloom this spring (Feb 2021).1632436488294.png

Attachments

• InkedCymbidium goeringii Kourin bud fall 2021_LI.jpg
    InkedCymbidium goeringii Kourin bud fall 2021_LI.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • C. goeringii kourin Feb 1 2021.jpeg
    C. goeringii kourin Feb 1 2021.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 11
IMO, no. there is something about the mix. I have seen some C. ensifolium C. sinense, and C. goeringii grown in other materials. The plants look bushy but never blooms. The roots in alternative mix are not as long as the plants grown in the Japanese Mix. Also, when C. goeringii are grown in other materials, the flower buds can abort during vernalization period for no apparent reasons even if you have the right vernalization conditions, so IMO, it has to do with the potting material (something about the moisture level in the roots, I think). Honestly, when C. goeringii are grown in this Japanese mix, it solves many wierd growth pattern, and wierd cultural problems. When growing in this mix, C. goeringii grows and blooms normally just like any other orchids. BTW, there is nothing special about this mix, this is the standard materials used in Asia to grow C. goeringii. Japanese materials just have better quality than the materials from other countries.

The potting material is a mix of 3 different pumices mixed in a pre-determined ratio. Each pumice has different characteristics and properties (pH, water rentention, drainage....etc). When it is mixed in the correct ratio, it provides the perfect pH (5.5-6.8, so slightly acidic), and a balanced drainage/water rentention. That's why, I just buy the mix, and be done with it. I do not reinvent the wheels. All the C. goeringii grown in this mix are in very good conditions and can bloom every year.

Below is a C. goeringii grown in this Japanese Mix for more than 3 years. I repotted this year and you can see the roots yourself. After repotting, it gave me 6-7 new growths.

1632497202369.png

Last edited:
Yes, I like the leaves too (C. goerngii "kourin"). When the new growth emerges in the spring, it is medium green, as the growth gets bigger, the leaves get darker and has a shine on the surface of the leaves. It is a very nice one. The leaf length is no longer than 25 cm which is the average size for a Japanese C. goeringii (leaf average for Chinese varieties is longer around 35-45cm). This variety is a tradtional oranger flower varieties and it is one of the most popular and one of the earliest Japanese varieites to bloom. The only downside for this variety (described in many C. goeringii books) is that the flower stem doesn't elongate well.

jokerpass, this is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway. I've been trying for years to find
Cym. ensifolium 'Red Peach' to replace one I gave to a dear friend. He has a gh full
of Cyms. and he can't seem to find it to send a division to me.

jokerpass, this is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway. I've been trying for years to find
Cym. ensifolium 'Red Peach' to replace one I gave to a dear friend. He has a gh full
of Cyms. and he can't seem to find it to send a division to me.

ABAX:

First, to order any East Asian Cymbidiums (C. ensifolium, C. sinesne, C. kanran, C. goeringii, and C. faberii), you must know the varietal name in Chinese (if you don't know how to pronounce it, it is okay, just keep the original tag with the actual varietal name written in Chinese Characters). This is the only way to ID the variety. Doesn't matter what plant you purchase, when I see the tag written with the Chinese Characteres, I (or anyone who can read Chinese characters) will ID the plant immediately. Varietal names written in Chinese Characters is the only way to be sure 100%. Without the Chinese Characters, I can only guess.

I know that vendors try to be "westerner friendly" and translate the Chinese varietal name. Since every vendor can translate the varietal differently, instead of helping people, it just creates more confusion and misunderstanding. The same rules apply for Neofinetia and D. moniliforme. For example, Neofinetia falcata "Setsuzan", (富貴蘭ー雪山) the literal English translation is Snow Moutain but that doesn't really help a Japanese vendor who doesn't speak a word of English and try to guess what 'Snow Mountain" means.

Having said this, I think the variety you want is Cymbidium ensifolium "Xiao tao hong" 四季蘭/建蘭「小桃紅」. Cymbidium ensifolium= 四季蘭 or 建蘭. Varietal name "Xiao tao hong" 「小桃紅」. The literal translation of 小桃紅 is Little Peach Red. I would suggest that you double check the varietal name in Chinese (just copy and paste the Chinese characters I wrote here in google).

Lastly, I think Matt (Tenshin) can find this variety for you, it is a very common variety in Taiwan, should be able to get it very easily without any problems.

Latest posts

Back