Cymbidium goeringii "Fuji no Yuubae"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Cymbidium goeringii "Fuji no Yuubae" 日本春蘭「富士の夕映え」

It produced bloom(s) 4 years in a row now. First year 2 flowers, second year 2 flowers, third year 5 flowers, and this year 1 flower. It's time to repot this spring and will not let it bloom next year in order to revigorate the plant.
Potted in Traditional Japanese East Asian Cymbidium Mix. This is the brief cultural requirements for people who are interested in this:
Light: 50%-90% depending on the season
Watering interval: once every 6 days to once every 14 days depending on the season
Temperature requirements:
Spring and Fall: intermediate range, 13C-17C (average 15C will do)
Summer: warm range 25C-30C
Winter: cold range 0C-10C (must stay within this range so the buds can develop and bloom).
Humidity: 50%-70% at all times
Grown outdoor from early May to early November.
Grown in Flora Peculia's basement C. goeringii room from early November to end of April.
Picture is taken by Flora Peculia.
I think the flower stalk should elongate more, if it does, will post an updated picture later.

1643846940393.png

Excellent flower and perfect presentation. Is it fragrant?
Chinese C. goeringii varieites are famous/well know for their fragrance. Especially the traditional varieites around the the Shanghai and Zhejiang Provinces. All these varieites have green flowers and green leaves.

Japanese and Korean C. goeringii varieites are well known for their flower colours (and also the variegated varieties of course), but not fragrance when compared to Chinese varieites and by Chinese people's standard. Almost all Japanese and Korean C. goeringii are classfied by the Chinese as little (poor) to no fragrance. Any varieites that don't have good fragrance is not valued by the Chinese. Both Fuji no Yuubae and Kourin have weak to poor fragrance. I have another Japanese orange flower variety that smells like Chinese herbal medicine.

I just think that differences in appreciation is just cultural and the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean value C. goeringii differently.

Beautiful flower and color! Looking forward to seeing others that you have as they bloom.
1645121475341.png

This is the update of the same flower. It's in full bloom. I posted another one in bloom Kourin (光琳) a couple of weeks ago. Yes, there are 2 more plants and they should bloom in a month as the flower stems are elongating now (slowly but elongating). I will post once they bloom. thanks

Latest posts

Back