Cymbidium goeringii "Fuji no Yuubae" Mid January 2021 UPDATE 日本春蘭「富士の夕映」

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Mid January is a great time to see where the flower buds are during their development. This year, this orange Japanese variety is a bit of ahead of schedule. The flower buds have all came out from the sheaths and the flower stems have already elongated somewhat. This should in full bloom in 2-3 weeks and the flower stems should elongate as the flowers keeping maturing. Will take better pictures once they are in full bloom. There are a total of 5 flowers this year which is better than last year.

1610745053686.png
1610745070516.png

1610745111882.png

the buds must be developed in the dark for 6 months or more during the year because this is how long it takes for the flower to bloom (from budding to blooming). It is the combination of the darkness and the extended period of consistent cold (0C-10C) in the winter that resulted in the vibrant colour. Below is a C. goeringii "Fuji no Yuubae" I found on the internet. When it is not capped, the flower colour is dull orange and green. My Taiwanese Cymbidium vendor told me that although it is possible to bloom them in Taiwan, when the coloured varieties bloom, the colour is off and I think it is because Taiwan is too hot.

1610766251326.png

Last edited:
Monocotman: It is also the low temperature. As I mentioned above, it is BOTH low temp and lack of chlorophyll. Even when it is covered with aluminimum foil, but if you don't meet the low temp requirement, the colour won't be correct either.

TyroneGenade: C. goeringii is a seasonal orchid so it has 4 conditions throughout the year (1 condition for every season). So, watering, lighting, and temperature are adjusted accordingly to the changing season. It is very hard to explain. However, here is the temperature requirement:

Spring and fall: 15C-19C (intermediate)
Summer: 25C-30C (hot to warm)
Winter: 0C-10C (cold)

C. goeringii is NOT a flexible orchid like many other orchids. The changing seasonal conditions must be met; otherwise, it will not do well for you. The temperature range stated above must be strictly followed (ie. no higher or lower). In Asia, the temperature goes up and down slowly throughout the year like a staircase. My Japanese Cymbidium vendor told me tha the lowest C. goeringii subsp. goeringii can go is -5C.

Last edited:
Back