Cymbidium goeringii Display Feb 2021

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Cymbidium goeringi Display February 1, 2021

First 2 C. goeringii (Japanese varieties) to start the season. The one on the left is C. goeringii 'Fuji no Yūbae' 日本春蘭「富士の夕映」and the one on the right is C. goeringii 'Kōrin" 日本春蘭「光琳」. Grown and bloom in Toronto, Canada. More plants to come.

Attachments

• C. goeringii Feb 1 display 1-1.jpeg
    C. goeringii Feb 1 display 1-1.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 36
  • C. goeringii Feb 1 display 2.jpg
    C. goeringii Feb 1 display 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35
Abax: it is a misconception that East Asian Cymbidiums (C. goeringii, C. sinense, C. kanran, C. faberi) are cold growers. It is wrong. All the informaton in English is wrong (this is the best and most concise way I can put it). All these species require a warm to hot summer months (at least 3 months or more). I call them Asian Summers. Definition of an Asian summer, you stand outside in the shade and in less than 5 minutes, you are wet, from head to toe. Asian summers are very hot and humid and it starts after the rainy season. In Taiwan and southern Chinese provinces, the summer starts after Dragon Boat Festival (lunar calendar). This marks the beginning of summer. In Japan, rainy season ends in June and summer starts in July. It requires the heat and humidity to grow well. In fact, the flower buds are induced in the summer time, the buds are formed by mid to late fall (nothing to do with the temperature difference in the fall, because the buds induction decision has already happened in the summer). You only need the cold in the winter for the flower buds to develop properly, so they will develop and bloom out in the spring time (this process is called vernalization). So here is the temp requirements to grow C. goeringii during the year:

Spring & Fall: intermediate range (14C-17C)
Summer: warm to hot range (25C-30C)
Winter: cold range (0C-10C)

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed reply jokerpass. In the past I have grown and bloomed sinense and ensifolium
successfully on a bedroom windowsill. After moving them to my greenhouse, they died either from the
heat or moving them too quickly. The plants were quite expensive and the loss was devastating for
me.

Latest posts

Back