Cymbidium ensifolium. HELP!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently found out about New World Orchids, placed an order, and I was pretty happy with the plants and prices!

Keep in mind that at least some of the Cymbs are bare root plants, and I suspect they were fairly recently imported. I'm only mentioning this because I noticed that some / most of the Cymbs had "bare root" prominently listed, others did not, so it's helpful to know ahead of time what to expect. And obviously as mentioned, they don't currently have that specific cultivar you're looking for but they have so many other really nice varieties that I was spoiled for choice.

If you are specifically seeking that cultivar, I would recommend avoiding Seattle Orchids. Their rate of mislabeled plants is far too high for my taste. Unless you buy the plant in bloom so you can know for sure if it is correctly labeled, it'll be a while before you're even aware of the problem. It's been my experience that at that point they will tell you there's nothing they can do. They might even blame YOU for the mislabeled plant or try to gaslight you into believing the mislabeled plant isn't actually mislabeled.

I recently found out about New World Orchids, placed an order, and I was pretty happy with the plants and prices!

Keep in mind that at least some of the Cymbs are bare root plants, and I suspect they were fairly recently imported. I'm only mentioning this because I noticed that some / most of the Cymbs had "bare root" prominently listed, others did not, so it's helpful to know ahead of time what to expect. And obviously as mentioned, they don't currently have that specific cultivar you're looking for but they have so many other really nice varieties that I was spoiled for choice.

If you are specifically seeking that cultivar, I would recommend avoiding Seattle Orchids. Their rate of mislabeled plants is far too high for my taste. Unless you buy the plant in bloom so you can know for sure if it is correctly labeled, it'll be a while before you're even aware of the problem. It's been my experience that at that point they will tell you there's nothing they can do. They might even blame YOU for the mislabeled plant or try to gaslight you into believing the mislabeled plant isn't actually mislabeled.
Thanks for the heads up about Seattle Orchid! Never knew about that and was thinking of purchasing some plants from them.

I agree with you about New World Orchids! They also specialize in Dendrobium moniliforme (one of my favorites), so I ordered one quite a while ago, and it came quickly and in terrific shape! Will definitely be purchasing more in the future

What did you get?

Nothing fancy or expensive, it was my test purchase to make sure I was happy with them. I mostly stuck with the lower cost varieties of goeringii, ensifolium, sinense, and tortisepalum -- one each. I'm really loving the tortisepalum and I think it is the most impressive of the plants I received.

Plus, I got a Dendrobium moniliforme, though it is a cultivar that's probably a hybrid. However, they are clear about that on the site and even explain why that's the case. I can respect that.

Anyway, NWO is on my favorite vendors list now! So thanks for the recommendation and kudos to you!

Thanks for the heads up about Seattle Orchid! Never knew about that and was thinking of purchasing some plants from them.

I agree with you about New World Orchids! They also specialize in Dendrobium moniliforme (one of my favorites), so I ordered one quite a while ago, and it came quickly and in terrific shape! Will definitely be purchasing more in the future

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Seattle Orchids as you can tell -- and I even managed to keep my comments brief and fairly civil this time around.

If you are close enough to them to visit in person, at least you can pick your own plants and see which ones are actually healthy. However, I would still recommend that you purchase in spike / flower plants so that you know you're getting what you paid for and/or can return anything that's mislabeled before the window of opportunity closes.

My purchase from New World Orchids was mostly Cymbidiums, but I also added a D. moniliforme to my order because I've been wanting to try one and the prices are really reasonable. It was my first order, so I was pretty conservative about things. Once I see which of these plants I'm successful with (hoping for all of them of course), I'm planning to make another purchase and all I can say is I hope my bank account can handle it.

If you are close enough to them to visit in person, at least you can pick your own plants and see which ones are actually healthy.
Seattle is probably a 3 and a half hour drive from here, so I wouldn't really want to make that drive to risk mislabeled plants.

I've gotten a few D. moniliforme from a friend of my grandfather and Andy's orchids, all of which have been pretty spectacular and flower reliably! One of my favorites, which is why I decided to buy one from NWO. I usually spray them in the mornings and soak them once a week, keeping temps in low to mid 70's and they seem to do well.

Attachments

• D.M1.jpg
    D.M1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 3
  • D.M2.jpg
    D.M2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 2
I don't know about Seattle Orchid, never dealth with them before.
New World Orchid, I know. Glen used to own the company and it was bought by the current owners a while back.
These new owers imported ALL East Asian Cymbidiums from Tenshin (they even use the same pictures). From what I understand from people who collect East Asian Cymbidiums (people who collect, post, and complaints to me), 50% of the time, the Cymbidium from Tenshin is the wrong variety and 50% of the time, the roots are bad. Again, Tenshin doesn't grow East Asian Cymbidiums, Matt (Tenshin) outsources all these East Asian Cymbidiums from another Taiwanese vendor who specializes in East Asian Cymbidiums. So, before you get the actual plants, the plant has already been passed down 2-3 times from the original vendor. My advise is to find vendor who specializes in East Asian Cymbidiums. When I purchase ANY East Asian Cymbidiums, I always go to a vendor who only sells East Asian Cymbidiums. All of my variety is 100% correct, no mistakes.

Lastly, regarding the roots. When they arrive from Taiwan or other Asian Countries, they all come barerooted. I know a couple vendors just repot them in Moss. When it's potted in moss, the roots will rot very fast. In Asia, moss is only used for transit, not used for potting. After you receive the plant, you should pot them in the East Asian Cymbidium Mix right away.

This is my advise for you.

I would recommend avoiding Seattle Orchids. Their rate of mislabeled plants is far too high for my taste. Unless you buy the plant in bloom so you can know for sure if it is correctly labeled, it'll be a while before you're even aware of the problem. It's been my experience that at that point they will tell you there's nothing they can do. They might even blame YOU for the mislabeled plant or try to gaslight you into believing the mislabeled plant isn't actually mislabeled.
Wow! That is unbelievable! I know Seattle Orchids is a lazy photo thief... now I know their customer service sucks too.

Interesting description from Seattle orchids. The description of how to grow Cymbidium goeringii is completely wrong. No wonder people kill them. Also, if Seattle Orchids gets the East Asian Cymbium spp from Tenshin, none of the plants are blooming size. They are medium seedling, large seedling at best. So it will take 2-3 years to bloom.

Latest posts

Back