Cymbidium elegans & iridioides

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do grow Cymbidium species, only 1 species, Cymbidium goeringii. All grown in Toronto, Canada.

Last year's display at my home
1608647577848.png

Some flower close up-Cymbidium goeringii "Haruka" 日本春蘭「春華」
1608647776459.png

Half of this year's crop
1608647867280.png

The buds are getting fatter slowly, should be very fat by mid January before the flower stems start to elongate.
1608647934420.png
1608647955699.png

Re: elegans, erythaeum, and tracyanum

Cym tracyannum: mine like lots of light and lots of food and water when active growth (as most Cyms) and are of winter bloomers to brighten the dark days.

Another similar exotic look but, smaller flower, option Cym erythraeum

re elegans: I find that if humidity a bit high when cold they can develope botritus (like my white(soft Cattleya)

BF23E7F1-5DB5-4DCD-87A2-DBF53841E01E.jpeg0B3581B2-2D72-457A-9D29-8AA679C24169.jpegA92CF39E-8C3E-40D0-ABDE-BAD6DFBC57E4.jpegA92CF39E-8C3E-40D0-ABDE-BAD6DFBC57E4.jpeg

the dark green hookers are very nice.
The 10 highest mountains in Australia..........................well done but i doubt you needed ropes and crampons!

The hookerianum clone I am getting is a very nice one. Won grand champion three times at a Victorian show.

Yes, I was able to get by without ropes, crampons or bottled oxygen. My father told me how he used to drive up to the top of Mt Kosciuszko.

Cymbidium traceyanum is another species worthy of the space. It is truly exotic and very fragrant also.
re elegans: mine sees as low as 42F.
species Cyms be a little more fussy that the hybirds but absolutely worth it View attachment 24169View attachment 24170View attachment 24170
Amazing.. these flowers are dear to my heart.. I have one from SBOE, I’ve had it for years and will never be able to bloom it because I grow it too warm. Maybe one day I’ll figure it out. Fantastic growing, what a treat.

I posted some C. goeringii pictures a few days ago, I thought I would post more of my C. goeringii that bloomed last season. All these plants have lots of buds again this year (more than last year), a very rewarding Cymbidium species with lots of flowers that bloom every year. C. goeringii is also the smallest Cymbidium species out there, there are many Japanese and Korean varieites that have leaves that are no more than 10 cm tall, so truly a miniature doesn't take too much space in terms of Cymbidiums.

Attachments

• Fuji no yuubae 富士の夕映  flower 2 .jpeg
    Fuji no yuubae 富士の夕映 flower 2 .jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Mangetsu 満月 flower 2.jpeg
    Mangetsu 満月 flower 2.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Tama no yuubae 多摩の夕映 flower 2.jpeg
    Tama no yuubae 多摩の夕映 flower 2.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Gyoku-ei 玉英 flower 1.jpeg
    Gyoku-ei 玉英 flower 1.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 4
Amazing.. these flowers are dear to my heart.. I have one from SBOE, I’ve had it for years and will never be able to bloom it because I grow it too warm. Maybe one day I’ll figure it out. Fantastic growing, what a treat.
Pete, re growing too warm, do you have any way to give a cooler-cold rest for a few weeks to initiate a bloom cycle? (Outside, in a closet, or garage?) It works for some who grow in houses with no day/night temperature change. Im sure you have thought all this through i’m just noodling. Btw I got one of my elegans from SBOE also.

Pete, re growing too warm, do you have any way to give a cooler-cold rest for a few weeks to initiate a bloom cycle? (Outside, in a closet, or garage?) It works for some who grow in houses with no day/night temperature change. Im sure you have thought all this through i’m just noodling. Btw I got one of my elegans from SBOE also.
Thanks. Yes, the outside spiking is not a problem.. it’s the continued cooler temps through the winter that is challenging. I tried under a light in a cooler spot in the basement last year but was unsuccessful. And lost / setback a few cooler growing orchids.. will continue to think about the parameters and come up with something.

During the cool/winter rest, depedning what Cymbidium species, you have to keep it between 5C-15C (but 10C on average is the best). Humidity must be between 50%-70%. During this cold winter temp, you have hold back on watering. If you water too much (cold wet feet), then the roots will rot over the winter. It will not show signs of root loss until into spring and summer. For these kind of Cymbidiums, once you have the set up (conditions), it is very low maintenance. For now, I only water once every 2 weeks and it is enough.

Back