Cym. sinense var "Big Stone Door"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
Cymbidium sinense is a terrestrial orchid whose native habitat spreads from India through Thailand and into Taiwan. This variety had wider leaves than most with a bit of variegation at the leaf tips, I suspect it is probably 4N.

Cymsi.jpg

sianenseBSD.jpg

Thanks for sharing this pic-- What a beauty! Can you share some advise on growing these cymbidiums?

I grow them in tall but narrow black plastic oriental Cym pots (about 9" tall). They have very good drainage in the bottom. I use a water retentive Phrag mix. (Bark mix with rockwool grow cubes added) They are kept moist. I grow mine intermediate in medium light, about the level that I grow Onc. intergenerics.

Jean, Chinese-type Cyms are very compact with graceful foliage. I grow multi growth plants in a 9" ( 29cm) tall pot, the top diameter is about 4" (10.2cm) and the well draining bottom diameter is about 2" (5.1cm). They need a cool spell to set spikes and they don't take the high light that a normal Cym needs. The pots look similar to this http://www.orchidweb.com/images/cp4026t.jpg

Latest posts

Back